Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
When I lifted my 93 I had rotated the wheels at the same time. Well come to find out most of my problem with DW was the week before I went wheelin and some how bent the rim in the back driverside. I rotated them back to the rear and what a difference. No DW at all. The rim does look bent when I had a tire shop ballance them. Just a thought. Some times its that simple. Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought a 1993 Grand Cherokee test drove it and everything, but I guess I didn't test drive it enough. Because the next day after I bought it, I drove it then out of the blue I hit pothole and the Death wobble shook the Jeep so violently I thought I was gonna crash! I needed to put a band aid on it until I could get it fixed, so I changed the steering stabilizer and it cleared it up for now. I know this is not a fix, but it made the Jeep drivable. When I get the money for my lift I will go through the front suspension and replace every bushing, check every bracket and re-torq every nut and bolt and hope it's not there when I'm done.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My .02, for what its worth... After being a counterman at the parts store for a few years, I've been able to gauge the most common cause of DW (in MY experience). That is: LCA bushings or caster mis-alignment. By far; though as others have said, the causes are many. But I have helped dozens of customers fix their DW by giving them LCA bushings (sometimes uppers, but usually the lowers at the caster eccentrics) and sending them for an alignment. And, I've had a few do BB's and have the same problem. But not one of them got longer LCAs or trackbar with the BB, and NONE of them went for an alignment after the install!!! 99.9% of the time, a good alignment solved their problem. Seems like everyone is happy to shell out $$$ for shiny new parts, but no-one wants to pay for a "boring" alignment...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Installed my new 4" RC lift last night and now I have DW from hell. Going to get it aligned in the morning and then go from there I guess.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The alignment didn't do much for the DW, so I installed a new stabilizer and added another bolt to the drop down track bar bracket, it was moving around a little, but that didn't help much either. How hard is it to replace the UCA bushings?

·
Registered
43 Posts
and to think that i actually thought i knew what death wobble was. i think i have it and if i dont, death wobble has a much more evil twin. 98zj 456 gears dana 44 (not the aluminum one) rear and a solid 30 hp in the front (new rotors). custom 6" long arm lift with johnny joints at every end and running 33" hankooks (the gf has to wear longer skirts which is a major bummer). i have vibration and its tolerable. the vibration has been there since i bought it, but the wobble is new. after my last trail run (shameless plug for the cfwda) i noticed on the way down she was pulling hard right, and there was some carnage involved. found a bad joint and replaced it, problem is still there. its like driving a boat, or even better yet, its like it has a tail and its wagging. it feels like the rear end is fighting the front end (back and forth) and ive got some steering play. its hard to say how much but the steering feels like what im used to. given the wagging or wobble and my work schedule, i wont have a chance to climb underneith it until midweek. what i am starting to fear is the steering box. btw, this happens from about 20/25mph up to as far as im brave enough to drive it (which is about 45mph where i can hardly control it).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a severe DW in my WJ. I got my lift from Rough Country. It came with an adjustable track bar. It has a steel heim joint. Shouldn't it be rubber?? The stock one is. All of my play is coming from that joint. It's as tight as it can get without shearing the bolt, as I have once already.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
My DW Fix for my 2001 WJ:
After have a BB lift for 3 years I finally ran into DW after hitting a moderate bump going 60MPH. Yep....60MPH. Having severe DW happen at that speed is nothing short of terrifying and I got a shot of adrenaline that should probably kill humans. Caused my hands to shake for 20 minutes. After that incident the brake pulsation I have would set it off if I tried to slow down. I had to baby it home going 35MPH and using down shift and the e-brake to do most of the slowing. I could use the brakes after I was under 25MPH.

Here's what fixed it:
Replaced all the drag-link and tie-rod ends (Turned out they were badly worn)
Replaced the steering dampener with the relocation kit from KevinsOffroad
Got an alignment, wheel balance, and tire rotation

After these procedures were done the DW was not only gone but the steering was MUCH tighter, more responsive, and my Jeep followed the road a lot better as well. I still have brake pulsation that almost feels like DW starting but its not, only bad rotors which will be replaced in a day or two.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i am a new member, very thankful to this forum on solving this problem, i replaced the upper and lower control arms, that didn't solve the problem, truck did it worse- the dw didn't stop until i replaced the track bar- i guess the control arms work with the track bar, after that i got a alignment- truck drives perfect- the bushings in my lower control arm were worn, i replaced the parts with stock ac delco parts from rock auto

·
Registered
2 Posts
My .02, for what its worth... After being a counterman at the parts store for a few years, I've been able to gauge the most common cause of DW (in MY experience). That is: LCA bushings or caster mis-alignment. By far; though as others have said, the causes are many. But I have helped dozens of customers fix their DW by giving them LCA bushings (sometimes uppers, but usually the lowers at the caster eccentrics) and sending them for an alignment. And, I've had a few do BB's and have the same problem. But not one of them got longer LCAs or trackbar with the BB, and NONE of them went for an alignment after the install!!! 99.9% of the time, a good alignment solved their problem. Seems like everyone is happy to shell out $$$ for shiny new parts, but no-one wants to pay for a "boring" alignment...:rolleyes:
this is the advice i actually went with - thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got death wobble after taking my WJ to get the alignment done. They said that my alignment was good (no adjustments needed) but that they had straightened my steering wheel for me. I got DW the week after taking it to them and in a month I had DW 3 times. If there is any question in your mind if you have DW then it's not DW. DW feels like both front tires blew out at the same time and it's instant. I could barely hold on to the steering wheel. My wife was laughing so hard because she said I looked like I **** my pants on a roller coaster...which is pretty accurate. Every time it happened was from hitting a bump in the road while doing 25-35 mph. I took it back to the shop and they said it was from having warped rotors. I did have warped rotors but I had those before they adjusted my steering wheel. So I replaced my rotors, stabilizer shock, tires balanced (had thrown a bunch of weights off-roading), and my track bar which had some slop in the bushings. DW hasn't been back since. I can't tell you what fixed it but the stabilizer shock was the first repair. I know it's a band-aid but I wanted to at least stop DW so I had time to fix everything else. Rusty's Off Road has a good video on YT about DW. I called them up and they had a lot of good info. I definitely appreciated their time and will be using their stuff as soon as I can afford it.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I again fought with death wobble a while back even after it had gone away for a bit. Purchase an IRO Track Bar with their flex joints (which are great products BTW). Fixed most of the DW but it took me a year to track it down the final cause because it wouldn't occur often. The final cause was wallowed out track bar bolt holes. Kevin's Off Road has a kit to fix this and replaces the standard bolts with 1/2" grade 8s.
With the IRO Track Bar and joints and the bolt hole fix its been 3 years without any sign of DW.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Now, I apologize I did not read through all of this, but if you get DW after a lift install or an alignment, then have the alignment checked. Most lift instructions say to have the alignment set with maximum toe-in and minimum caster, but the alignment shops (unless they specialize in Jeeps) don't know this and have to be told.

We installed a 2" BB on a customers 96 ZJ, then had it aligned (we don't have an alignment rack). The alignment shop called us and said it had horrible DW. I asked him to recheck the alignment and set it to max toe-in and min caster. The DW was completely cured.

I also installed about 7" of lift on my 98 5.9 ZJ. It too had DW. Took it back to the alignment shop and asked them to set max toe-in and min caster. He told me the caster was already at min, and the toe-in was 1/16" from max. He adjusted it to max, and my DW was cured.

I also have a TJ that I have experienced DW in for other reasons than alignment and everytime, upon checking it out, it was blatantly obvious where the cause was coming from

61 - 77 of 77 Posts