Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, recently purchased a 2000 grand cherokee, it has developed the dreaded death wobble, so far I have replaced steering stabilizer, track bar, lower control arms, front driveshaft, ball joints and shocks with no success. I purchased the jeep from a used car lot (big mistake) only thing I can think of next is tires, It does have a leveling kit installed and slightly bigger rims and tires (255/75/17) also 1 inch wheel spacers. Do you guys think that could be the problem? Do leveling kits wear out? Or are the tires just to big? I'm at a lose here. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
2 Posts
Man, all those changes and still wobble. On my 98 I had death wobble after flying over some rough pavement. I replaced my old steering stabilizer and that fixed mine.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It seems there is no single answer to death wobble issues. Pretty much everything that could be worn out in the front end manifests the same symptoms. Just keep plugging away until you find the right thing.

Personally, I suspect the steering rack's don't get enough attention for this issue, but I cant prove it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems there is no single answer to death wobble issues. Pretty much everything that could be worn out in the front end manifests the same symptoms. Just keep plugging away until you find the right thing.

Personally, I suspect the steering rack's don't get enough attention for this issue, but I cant prove it.
Yeah, looks like no other choice but to keep changing stuff. Just never heard of having to go this far with it not being fixed. But luck I guess

·
Super Moderator
638 Posts
the wheel spacers will not be doing any favours but most likely cause is a combination of the levelling kit and new lower arms have put the kin pin inclination at the wrong angle and causing the wobble when you hit a bump.
Did you mark the front axle bolts when you changed out the lower arms to refit them in the same place?
And well worth getting a full 4 wheel alignment done.
All jeeps are prone to spring sag/weakening as they age and some people try fitting budget lift kits in the mistaken belief it is the cure to a low riding jeep.
Dose your problem occur at all speeds when you hit a bump or dose it happen between a given speed band?
Also on WJ and onwards it is also well worth checking the rear A frame bushes and ball joint have not failed.
Font Circle Number Terrestrial plant Document

·
Registered
2 Posts
Watch this, follow the steps, fix the death wobble. My 98 ZJ would go into wobbles if I even blinked over 35 mph. Now even with a pretty large lift and 285/70/17 BFG KO2s on there I can run at 80 on the interstate with no problems. Now I'm a death wobble survivor and have a sticker on my Jeep for my troubles...LOL

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
I struggled with death wobble on my 2001 WJ for almost a year before I figured it out.
I tried everything (hubs, tie rod ends, drag link ends, alignment, dampener, ball joints, track bar, tightened track bar bolts) to try to fix the issue but I would get a wobble when hitting bridge seams or large potholes while going over 60 MPH.

I finally found that my track bar's bolt holes were wallowed out and would allow the bar to move no matter how tight I made the bolts. The factory bolts are already too small for the holes but this gets way worse over time with wear and tear. The solution was a new hardware kit from Kevin's Offroad, part# KOR-9906-HW.

I drilled out the track bar ends, the hole in the frame and axle, and used the provided hardware and BOOM, death wobble gone forever. I've been driving my WJ for several years now free of wobble. I also recommend the adjustable track bar from Iron Rock Offroad with their flex joints (I did drill out the joints). They have NO squish whatsoever and will really help your steering feel tight and responsive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts