Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 1998 5.9 and have a question about it. It has daytime running lights and it really annoys me. Now I know that there are things that can be programmed by the dealer such as turning the headlights on whenever you turn your wipers on and having the remote open all doors with the first press instead of second. Well I took my jeep to the dealer and asked if they could disable the daytime running lights and the guy was a total a#$. He went on to some ramble about how US Chrysler vehicles don't have daytime running lights. Well my grand was made in Canada but it was sold here. Then he goes on to say that I would have to get written permission from Chrysler to be able to get them disabled and how it was a big "liability" issue. The jist of it was that he didn't feel like messing with it. Is there any truth to this ramble? How can I disable the daytime running lights?

Thanks in advance!!!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Under the fuse box behind the battery in the engine compartment is the DRL module. You should be able to move the fuse box out of the way enough to get at it. All you have to do is unplug it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'll try it tomorrow.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will it throw any type of codes or anything?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't think so. My are currently connected but it shouldn't cause any problems.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I disconnected the only connector I could find behind the battery near the bottom of the fuse box......didn't disable the daytime running lights and in fact now the check engine light is on. I plugged it back on and I guess I will have to have someone clear the code for me with a scanner because the check engine light remains on now. That was the only connector that I could find. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Don't know what to tell you. I just went out and verified that it works on mine. I know the 4.0 and the 5.2 have the DRL module in this location. My only guess is that the 5.9 is different.

In regards to the engine light I would normally suggest finding the error code but I don't believe the 5.9 reports engine faults the same way as the 4.0 and the 5.2. From the information that I have the on-off-on-off-on ignition trick only works on WJ's and pre 98 ZJ's although it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot. http://www.zjilla.com/tech_codes.htm Maybe there are some 5.9 guys that could chime in here.

Edit - spelling

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Crash on 2002-04-13 20:35 ]</font>

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually the code ended up going away after the car sat for a couple of hours so that's good. Still can't get rid of the darn DRLs. Someone mentioned to me that it might require switching out the ECU. That seems excessive to me. Why would they (Chrysler) go through the trouble of making a completely different ECU. Surely if you can program the lights to come on with the wipers and other stuff you can also program the DRLs on or off.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You don't happen to have a digi cam that you could take a pic of the connector you are talking about do you? I've already ordered a factory service manual but am still waiting on it to arrive so I'm basically working blindly. Thanks!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Don't have a digital camera but the module is directly below the fuse box. It's about 2" square and the plug in question connects for the engine side. It is a 2 by 5 row connector I think. There is the Chrysler star printed on the front side right behind the battery with the part number 56004262 and on a second row 60043. Again, I have a 96 I6 so this might be totally different.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It must be because the one I tried disconnecting was the only one I could find and it didn't work. When I get my service manual maybe I can figure it out. Oh well. Thanks for the assistance anyway.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I got my service manual today and found the connector that you were talking about. It is actually underneath the fuse box. I misunderstood you. I read that it was behind the battery but not that it was actually under the fuse box. I found it and disconnected. Worked like a charm. Thanks!!! Now I just have to go tell the dealer that they are a#$es. They were trying to tell me that I had to buy another ECU. Idiots!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Good! Glad it finally worked out for you.

BTW, what was it that you unplugged? Did you manage to figure that out?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I meant to look last night and find it in the manual but forgot. I'm sure it was some emmisions related sensor since it went away after plugging it back up and letting it sit for a while.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts