Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

161 - 180 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
clutches

We stock these clutch packs and they include the guides. We have all the parts in stock for the d44a, carriers, trac loks, HD axle shafts, etc. Gears from 3.08 to 4.88 and more.

hey guys im new to this site so bare with me. i just picked up a d44a at the jy for cheap and i cant find any info the damn thing anywhere i went to the dana site and they were no help. when i pulled out the trac lok that was in it i took a BIG bole and took out the spiders btu im afraid im barking up the wrong tree cause some stuff is missing and broken. im missing one of the little clips that hold the pack in alignment and theres a big either washer or shim thats on one gear broken but still there and on the other only two pieces. so im looking to see if anybody knows where i can get an exploded view of where everything goes. thanks guys

·
Registered
25 Posts
Any heads up on 44a stuff?! This thread's been dead for awhile. I want to swap one in my 4.0 98 ZJ, with a BTF cover and 4.56 gears, then a Spartan Locker.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have been searching around for info too. Probably going to build my own truss out of 2X4 .125 wall tubing and 1/4" plate for the pumpkin skid. Saw a ok design a guy put into an XJ a while back but nothing else recently. Mixed reviews but if ya don't hammer on these things, they will stay together. I'm only running 32's so...

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
^if you're gonna run 32s, the 4hd will handle those just fine without a truss, unless you drive stupid. the stock upper unibody mounts become equally vulnerable to damage when you start to push the axle to its limits...

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
It's a shame that Mountain Valley Customs decided to start screwing people over and you can no longer buy the truss, don't bother wasting your time calling them.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Artec makes a sweet russ for the price, for a waggy 44 specificly. I got one over the holidays for a project, but have been meaning to see what mods can be dont to fit a WJ 44a. One thing is one end is a little shorter than the other, due to the waggy 44 being slightly offset. That may or may not be helpful for somebody if they needed to keep a rear track bar. Shouldn't hurt a WJ application since the WJ WMS is 3 inches wider anyway. Not certain how a ZJ would fit as the WMS is close but pigs may be centered slightly differently. I may see Shayne this week and will try to remember to take the truss kit and fit it against his ZJ 44a. Should be able to get to this up this week. For $150, it's cheap enough to tinker with, but still a great looking product. Also, the Artec has a nice flat surface area to mount a bracket for either triangulated uppers or converting the WJ ball joint to a johnny joint, unlike the truss above.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
It's a shame that Mountain Valley Customs decided to start screwing people over and you can no longer buy the truss, don't bother wasting your time calling them.
What happened, I wanted to order one this spring. For $150, I figured it wasn't worth my time to measure and cut my own pieces. I guess I will have to make my own now.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just looked at the Artec truss designs. They appear to mostly be designed for installing on top of the axle. While my 44hd was out of the ZJ, I was looking at the amount of room to install a truss on top and incorporate it into the upper control arm mounting points. There just wasn't enough room to put anything there that would provide structural strength. I heard many comments against putting the truss on the bottom and reducing ground clearance. I geuss when I'm finished with with mine and run some trails with it, I will report back on that.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I wouldn't run a 44a on the trail without a truss under the housing, in my other Jeep I have scraped the aluminum shavings off a rock that my housing left behind and wondered why on earth Jeep ever thought it was a good idea to use this axle.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I wouldn't run a 44a on the trail without a truss under the housing, in my other Jeep I have scraped the aluminum shavings off a rock that my housing left behind and wondered why on earth Jeep ever thought it was a good idea to use this axle.
blah blah blah.... ever wonder why they decided to go with unibody construction?

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Compared the Artec waggy truss against my WJ 44a. Over all width of the top plate fits just inside the inside edges of the spring perches. It appeared it would clear the odd shape of the housing top for the ball joint. Being the Artec was designed for the offset wagy housing, either the long-side inner plate would need to be trimmed ti fit in, or maybe Artec could be convinced to supply two of the short-side iner plates? I took a couple picturesI'm gonna send to them to see if they would be interested in more of a formal fit. There is still the ball joit mounted in the way ofmy guestimate. I don' see this truss as doable on a ZJ. I didn't have one handy to check against, but I believe the spring perches would be too tight together.

·
Registered
194 Posts
^if you're gonna run 32s, the 4hd will handle those just fine without a truss, unless you drive stupid. the stock upper unibody mounts become equally vulnerable to damage when you start to push the axle to its limits...
Driving stupid is much more fun and exciting than keep-n it low key :D

Stock upper unibody mounts, if your were referring to the upper control arm mounts, no longer being used due to installation of the long arm suspension.

The truss will be extra insurance for durability and since I can fab my own stuff, the expense is low, peace of mind much worth it. We do have plenty of rocks around here to slide a pumpkin on.........

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Driving stupid is much more fun and exciting than keep-n it low key :D

Stock upper unibody mounts, if your were referring to the upper control arm mounts, no longer being used due to installation of the long arm suspension.

The truss will be extra insurance for durability and since I can fab my own stuff, the expense is low, peace of mind much worth it. We do have plenty of rocks around here to slide a pumpkin on.........
Instead of just talking about it, built it and post pictures. As for driving stupid, Darwinism will take care of that in the end.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can get a 44hd truss from tnt customs for about 170. They have versions specific to different Jeep models, and they come with/can come with mounting brackets and/or coil buckets. Mind you, this is just info from planning/dreaming about my 44hd.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you had to replace the pinion seal on that Dana 44a? I picked up one from the jy to swap out on my gc. The pinion seal is leaking on it so I bought one but it looks like there may be another piece I need as well. Looks like the pinion yoke has a rubber type seal on it in addition to the outer one that goes into the pinion opening on the housing.

Can anyone confirm if the dana 44a pinion seal is a two piece deal?

161 - 180 of 180 Posts