Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 GC, with 4" lift, & want to replace D35C with d44 or whatever else would work. What axle would be more or less a direct swap? (I'm sure this has been addressed before, sorry)

·
525 Posts
front axle is a Dana 30 :)

rear axle is a Dana 35 which may have "C" clip shafts or could have the same bearing set up as a 44 and have pressed on retaining rings. it is a unicorn axle you have as I heard they fitted 35's to some yet this is the first one I have ever seen.

The easiest way to change it is to fit a 44A with the same ratio as your current 35 and think you will only need the prop shaft, handbrake cable and flexi brake line of the 44A to make it fit :) but don't hold me to it ;)

44a is a great axle unless you plan on serious rock crawling, then it might need some form of braise/guard to prevent the pumpkin from serious damage

·
Registered
4 Posts
It does not have c clips on the wj axle the dana 35 in all wjs don’t have c clips they have flange bolts so honestly it’s a waste to run a d44 when if your wj doesn’t have the d44a already in it just either keep the 35 or swap to one tons if your gonna axle swap. I’m a fan of the 44 but just my opinion. I was gonna swap mine until I took it out and realized there flange bolts and not like the xj.

·
Registered
4 Posts
to add to what I said you can do what I did which is called the super d35 kit check it out it basically makes it like a 44 but I did it because I had to regear since I put 35” tires on it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts