Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there a trick to this? I have read a couple of replies to this question from folks who said that is was a direct fit ... but am finding out differently. Apparently, the tone ring is just a hair away from interfering with the brake adjuster, and the sensor bracket doesn't allow the sensor to fit with the D44 axle flange.

I guess it's not a big deal at the moment, I just had my guy take off the tone rings and we'll disable the ABS for the time being. Just thought it was a direct swap. I'll be looking for another axle (with brakes this time) to move parts from, and at the worst the current axles without tone rings will be my trail spares.

Or ... will a D35 disc set-up swap directly across too? D35's are cheaper in the boneyards around here, and if all I need is the brakes I can get upgraded axles later.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Keep searching as I can't confirm for you, but I think all of the disc stuff swaps directly over. There were no 44HD axles that came with drums that I am aware of. That doesn't mean it won't work, but I would personally get disks anyways. They perform better than drum brakes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Discs are definitely in the future, no doubt. As I was sorting out the budget for this though, given what parts I had acquired, it seemed that waiting would be prudent. Gear change, axle/brake swap, driveshaft change, new tires on 9'er rims. Best laid plans I guess.

But there's good news. The guys at 4 Wheel called after they popped the tone rings off of the 44 shafts. For grins, they went ahead and popped off the 35 tone rings, and lo and behold the I.D. for both size rings is exactly the same. So, they pressed the 35 tone rings onto the 44 shafts and voila!! It all fits. The sensor fits just like it used to, the adjuster has the same clearance (it should), and the ABS will be functional. How 'bout that!!

Gonna cost me in labor, but it all worked out good and we've learned a new adaptation.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And thank you both for the input, always much appreciated. Good to know the AZ/parts store trick - should have remembered that from my other Jeep tricks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts