Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give my their thoughts about using stock control arms with 3.5" of lift. The only ones I have changed out right now are the lower rears with Tomken adjustable heim joint style. My wheels fit in the wheel wells fine with no rubbing with 265 75 r16's and I have little to no drive line vibes. Thanks for any info!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
It will be fine with the stock control arms because aftermarket control arms are the same length as the stock ones. The only problem you'll have is that stock control arms limit your ability to flex the suspension offroad.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm at 4.5" w/ stock arms and no problems at all. The stock arms flex very good too. Every jeep is different, you may have problems. Only one way to find out...

·
Registered
606 Posts
Try it.

Any higher with any bigger tires though and it will be time to do arms for sure. They just help that much with both driveline angles and fitting larger tires if they are adjustable...

Just my $.02/sh

Deep Slate w/ 45K, JKS/OME/RE/Spacer 5.5" lift, TW Custom Shaft, 297-X D30 shafts, full skids, spare everything, 32" BFG MT's on Black Rockcrawlers, Intake/Exhaust/Ignition/PCM all Kolak-Style, etc., etc., etc.

My performance ain't perfect, but it's loud and it's fast -- Widespread Panic

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wharfrat on 2002-01-31 21:45 ]</font>

·
Registered
342 Posts
Not all aftermarket arms are the same length as stock ones. If this was true then why would anyone swap out arms?

Longer arms help to fix pinion angles, and also to recenter the tires in the wheel wells. Also the stock arms are pretty weak.

If you have no vibes at all right now (which I'm surprised to hear) then go ahead and run the stock arms, but eventually you'll want to swap them out with longer ones.

Hal

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I say I have little to no drive line vibes because I have not had any vibration that is noticable over the vibration of my mud terrian tires. I expected some though from what everyone said about lifting the 249 T-case

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I'm running Rusty's springs on my '97 V8 w/249, and I'm around 4"+ with my stock arms. My problem wasn't driveline vibes or dw after a good alignment, but rather, front DS cv joint explosion when the front axle drooped (severe driveline angle) at Moab. Admittedly, I had a heavy foot which didn't help, but the point I'm making is that the cv on the stock front DS is the weak link you should think about as long as all your tie rod ends, bushings and such are in good condition. If any of those are worn, they should be replaced first.

gary

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ncal zj on 2002-02-05 23:34 ]</font>

·
Registered
102 Posts
I put on some 6" XJ coils the other day and it works fine with the stock arms. I will get new ones in the future though.

·
Registered
266 Posts
You should be OK with the stock arms at 3.5", but I wouldn't go any higher without changing them out.

The problem you will likely have is that your axles are not centered now. If so, you will have to move the track bar chassis-side mounting location (not preferred) or install adjustable track bars.

Don't know what year ZJ you have, but you could have issues with the front driveshaft not holding up under full droop/compression. The Type 1 and Type 2 slip yoke drive shafts on the '93 to '95 ZJ's seem to hold up much better to lifts than the Type 3 non-slip yoke drive shafts used on some '95 and later models. Both of the slip yoke shafts use a double cardan joint at the transfer case and a u-joint at the differential. The Type 3 uses a double cardan joint at the TC and a constant velocity (CV) joint at the diff. The CV can't take the increased angles under flex.

Another thing you may have to consider is your shock length. I'm not sure but at 3.5" you are probably getting pretty close to the travel limits of the stock shocks.

David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts