Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I posted this over on JU, but I want to get a good thorough response. Heres the deal:

I'm sitting at 3" right now with Rancho springs & factory control arms, but I'm thinking about how good the ol' ZJ would look sitting at 6". (yeah Mod Fever phase 2 is starting) So, I'm researching LCA lengths, and I read that OE rear LCA's are 16.75" from bolt hole to bolt hole. Fronts are 15.5", correct? So by this rationale, could I swap my OE rear LCA's to the front and just purchase adjustables for the rear? Would 16.75" be too long for the front? (I'm not afraid to trim the bumper up front.) Has anyone tried this? I'm trying to minimize my cost on control arms right now since the ultimate goal would be to go to LA's if I survive through MF phase 2. Could I get some measurements on Front adjustable control arm lengths at around 4.5 to 6 inches of lift.
Thanks folks!

Hank

Edit: Bob (Trango) on JU made a point about needing to pay attention to pinion angles and my steering knuckles, but I'm not too familiar in those departments. What should I expect to be involved in all of this. I'm afraid the pinion angles may be shifted too far downwards without getting adjustable uppers for the front.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JeepinHank on 2002-03-19 11:30 ]</font>

G

·
0 Posts
Hank,
i just recently put 1.75" spacers on top of a RE 4.5" system. Adjustable uppers front and rear, but only my rear lowers are adjustable. Driveline vibes are very minimal, almost non existent under 50-55 mph. Right now i am still running 31's, but plan to go up to 33's next tire purchase. When i installed the lift i purposely adjusted the lower and upper rears about an inch past RE recomended lengths so as to afford plenty of clearance for a larger tire in the future, my thinking was similar to yours, not afraid to trim bumpers and what not but i wanted to avoid cutting sheetmetal.
I plan on applying this same philosophy to the front. Sitting at about 6.5"s front and rear. My 31's have plenty of clearance up front for now. I am concerned that when i mount the 33's the rear portion of the front fender will contact the tire when turning. Although my ride height is taller, clearance when turning is very similar to when sitting at 4.5"s. The BB increased the angle of my front arms dramatically almost pulling my tire closer to ther rear portion of the front fender. To make a long story short, i believe before i mount the 33's i am going to replace the front lower arms with the factory rear lowers. They are about an inch longer than the fixed front lowers from RE. To sum this all up, an inch increase in rear driveline length presented no problems, i am guestimating that the front will be the same.

I am most likely going to put those lowers on the front next week. I will keep you informed if i encounter any problems.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Woody!

Since you have the adjustable uppers, I don't foresee any problems for you. I'd like to here your experiences when you get done. I know the severe angles are going to look terrible, but I just can't justify going long arms right now. I'm hoping I get the chance to meet clayton up at GSE this year and check out what those Long Arms look like. I know they are the way to go if you have the $,$$$ to do it, but I really wonder how much longer I'd have to drive my ZJ to really get my $'s worty.

Keep me posted on your experiences and thanks!!
Hank

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
JeepinHank,

I have the spacers on the 4.5 also. Mine is a 94 with the full time and I haven't yet experienced the dreaded DW or any driveline vibes.

Before you decide on bigger meats, make sure to regear. Nothing is more unimpressive than a nice truck with no power.

Hunter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts