Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are they 3 or 3.5? ive heard so many different stories about the lift height once settled that i dont know what to get.

i'm leaning twards the RE springs.

·
Registered
186 Posts
For ride Id go with the Tera kit. My front settled a bit with an ARB Bull Bar and winch. The back has stayed the same. I think the RE springs are too harsh on the street and I have no opinion on Rusty's spings since I have not seen them.

Just my .02

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'll be using the re 4.5in front and my up country fronts in back. post some pics and stuff later.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I put on RE 3.5s 4 months ago and the front is sitting at about 4 inches, the back is about 3.75 inches. I have steel bumpers front and rear.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats sounds awsome. i keep going up in these small costly increments so i decided to say the hell with it and go for the tall springs.

by the way. were you at 4.5 inches before it settled a little?

are you running the arb in front?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bender on 2002-04-16 20:13 ]</font>

·
Registered
45 Posts
At first it was almost 4.5" in the front but it has slowly come down. I have homemade steel bumpers, and the front one is probably around 130lbs. The rear is closer to 100lbs.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I ran Rusty's for a while on my ZJ. I netted 4.5" of lift from them over stock, non UC. I hear they settle down to about 4". They ride and flex very nice, but keep in mind that you'll need to buy more parts to make it work right. You can't just spend the $320 on the kit and be done with it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Rusty's has given me 4.5" in the front and 5" in the rear. It's cheap and great! However, get shocks that are longer than 27.5" long because my Old Man Emu LT's are too short. Shoot me an email if you have any questions.

·
Registered
606 Posts
ccissell said:
I think the RE springs are too harsh on the street
What shocks did you run them with?

I have loved my RE springs (4.5"), even with spacers on top, and have always had softer valved shocks on them. They are very sweet to drive.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i am very happy that i chose the re springs. they are softer than the upcountry althoughit could be because of the softer shocks i have now. the ias are definatly to harsh.

i wouldnt buy rustys anything.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've got the Tera springs.

With an ARB/winch combo in the front & a TR/tire carrier combo in the rear: I sit 4-1/8 inches +/- 1/8" at each corner.

BTW these springs are 2 years old, and have been on my rig for 1 year (I bought them used.)

I like the ride, but I have Rancho 9000 adjustables too, so that helps dial in the softer rides for the road. :D

Zac

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
zj admiral, lets see some pics of your home fabbed bumpers. i should have asked this earlier.

mike

·
Registered
206 Posts
The front coils RE uses for the 4.5" ZJ lift are snowplow springs compared to what they used to sell for the ZJs. The coils have a spring rate that was calculated for a ZJ with a V8 and heavy ARB bumper w/winch installed on the front. If you are installing them on a 4.0l, you will get over 5" lift and the ride is not that great. The old 4.5" springs had a rate of 130#/in the new ones are 174#/in (measured using a bathroom balance scale and a shop press).

Linda

1 - 14 of 14 Posts