Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

The temperature has drop (-18C (0F)) and my 97, 4L Grand Cherokee is having a strange problem to start involving at least the ignition switch, the transmission and may be the starter motor. In despite that the battery is old; it would not seem to be a battery problem.

First, I have ALWAYS been able to start my Jeep doing the next procedure:
1) I turn the ignition switch to “off” position
2) I shift the transmission to “neutral” position
3) I turn the ignition switch to “start” position, and I press slightly the accelerator.
And after warming for few minutes I can drive normally (drive, neutral, reverse works ok). But if I shift the transmission to “Park”, the engine stops.

On the other hand if I try to start the car with the transmission in “Park” position it does not work with 2 different behaviors: some times, it starts and stops as soon I release the accelerator, and others time the starter motor does not work at all.

When I park the car in a warm place for a couple of hours everything works OK again, but after staying overnight in the cold the problem appears.

Some advice about what should I check? Or the only solution is waiting until spring?

Thank you very much
Pablo

Ps: Sorry for my English!

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Park/neutral safety switch malfunction it sounds like. Were you doing anything abnormal when all these problems started?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No. Nothing abnormal. Well, actually I was driving in around 10 inches of snow, but it is not abnormal here. The particularity of the problem is that it appears at very low temperature (<0°F).
Is this safety feature electrical or mechanical? Where should I look?
Thanks
Pablo

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I guess it could just be things getting frozen, I'm not really too familiar with that low of temperatures around my way, so I can't relate. With it starting up with some throttle, then when you release the throttle it will shut off, that could be the Intake Air Controller being stuck and not letting the engine breathe. I couldn't say for sure.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Linkage and neutral safety switch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts