Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the length of the belt I would need to bypass the AC compressor on a 96 GC Limited 5.2? There is a routing diagram on the fan shroud showing with and without AC, but I can't find a listing anywhere for the w/o AC option. I've seen the bypass pulleys for sale but would rather go with the shorter belt.

Also my front CV shafts are due for replacing, again this is a 96 GC Limited with the Quadratrac. What am I getting myself into? I do all my own easy repairs - brakes and such - and have done some more advanced things - replaced radiator, head gasket. Are the CVs something I should be able to handle? Are there any tricks or special tools I may need, or anything I should also replace while I'm in there?

All info is appreciated!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just did the front shafts on my 96 GC and I'm by no means a mechanic. It was fairly staightfoward. The main problem I had was the bolts holding the hub assembly were rusted seized. I had to get one special tool: a 36mm axle nut socket. (rented at local auto parts store) Other than that, no special tools were need. For the three hub assembly bolts, you must use a multipoint socket I think 13mm. There is a good video on Youtube that explains the procedure. Good Luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up buying the AC bypass pulley. After one finally broke in two and watching the youtube video I tackled the CV shafts replacement, which was easier than I thought it would be. I only snapped one breaker bar trying to free the axle nut.

I like the part in the video where, as he is snipping the zip tie, he explains how he zip tied the caliper so as not to let it hang from the brake hose, then realizes he forgot to put the rotor on, and lets the caliper hang as he goes to get the rotor.

I replaced the pads and rotors also (and the hub assemblies), and found if you are doing so that you can just lock a pair of vise grips on the old rotor to keep everything from spinning while breaking loose the axle nut.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Or just have some one step on the Brakes while you undo / tighten the axle nut ( of course you do this while you have the Brake caliper on )

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay after replacing all of the stuff mentioned above, and the radiator the week before, she decided she would also like a new starter (I'm guessing as the alternator and battery I also replaced only 6 months ago). Now I am stranded at work!

·
Registered
677 Posts
The easiest way is to break the axle nut free while its still on the ground in park. It requires no extra help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts