Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have done some research on this problem the past few days and a visit to the JY. so my 98 4.0l lerado with manual temp controls is having a problem i noticed about four days ago when i stopped for some pizza and come back and the heater was running still. i played with the knobs and it turned off by turning the motor off by the knob. i couldn't get it to do it again that night. then the next day my girl drove it and had mentioned the heater was staying on with the key out. i checked it out a little showed her what i had figured out with turning it off but also found out i could change the speeds to the blower motor with no key in the ignition. it had drained the battery that night. didn't find that out till the next day. today i figured it was the controls in the dash so some time at the junkyard i pulled one for a 96(not the right one by the way and didn't find out till i had the mine out) i pulled the control unit apart and found a relay inside. so a trip to the parts house i found a relay and replaced it and put things back together and still having the same issue. so i don't wake up to a dead battery i pulled the blow motor fuse. anyone have some incite? dose this sound like the resistor has gone bad?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Today I drove it to work. And disconnected the overdrive off button and rear defroster button which I noticed the light the shines on when activated were dimly lit. And by turning off the heater before I turn off the zj. It won't kill the battery I my theory I think I came up with. I'll find out tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Its probably the ignition switch. Next time it happens try jiggling the ignition switch or key it off and on and see if it goes off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Blowe Motor Relay

Been told there is relay in addition to the resistor. I’ve replaced the resistor and blower but the fan still runs w/o the key. According to one website, a relay is located above the blower motor but I’ve checked my 98 and a 97 (both with ATC) and there is no relay to be found.

I’m not allowed to post links but it’s on justanswer . com and search for (including typo):
Where is the blower motot relay on a 1998 Jeep Gran Cherokee…

I wiggled and jiggled the ignition switch with no change. So now I’m looking at replacing the control unit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts