Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

401 - 420 of 469 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #401
Thanks guys, it was to say the least, a scary situation.

As best I can tell, the only damage is to the body and two of the steel wheels. The cage is obviously compromised completely, but that is what an exo is supposed to do. I am looking for a V8 ZJ now to swap all of my junk over to, so no worries, I am not out of the game :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would have needed to change my pants after a tumble like that. I am glad to hear that you and your passenger are okay. its a really good thing you woke up one morning and decided you wanted a roll cage!!!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
wow man! the jeep has more character now.
thats a better ride than mine but since your gonna build another jeep, can we be critical of this one?
it does look tippy....

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #404
Of course you can be critical, thats why there are build threads :D

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
alright cool. just didnt want to come across as one of those who tells you how to build your rig, when mine is a total ghetto-fab, lol.

anyways, i would consider an internal cage on your next one over the exo. i know the exo probably served you well, but both would keep you alive in a roll like that. if you were gonna laugh those dents off and keep runnin it, i can see the purpose of the exo, but it sounds like you're not. the main advantage of the internal is more centralized weight, and probably lighter weight. also less weight up high. might make the difference the next time you're in a situation like that.
just my opinion. im not a fan of exos myself, unless you are runnin full widths to make it more stable. i have not explored MC lately, but last time i did i think the general consensus over there was internal not external. just some food for thought...

the PBRs look great!

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #406
Thanks for the advice. I have decided to do a hybrid cage on the next ZJ. One that gives me plenty of room in the driver and front passenger area and then put the interior cage from the B pillars back. I invision it looking a lot like Ryan's (rstruck) 5.9 on MC.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #407
Well, it is almost time to part out this rig. I am keeping the suspension, axles, tires, drivetrain, winch and a few other thing; but, I will be selling the sliders, front ARB bumper and rear swing out tire/hi lift carrier. If you are interested in something let me know and I will get back to you when I have it off the jeep.

I am not posting this in the FS section because I really don't know when the parts will be ready; consider this more of a "I got dibs" when it is available.

The exo cage is already gone.

Ask me any questions about a part you may or may not want. I will let you know what kind of shape it is in.

Just to throw it out there, I would sell the entire jeep as-is (no cage) with tires and two spare wheels and one spare tire for $7,000

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #409
Well I bought a 94 limited ZJ with a 5.2. Overall it is in good shape, and only has 137k miles on it. Right after Christmas it will be getting the 93's suspension, bumpers, t-case, wheels tires, etc. Then I will be scraping the 93 as well as the disc braked d35 and 35 and the 249 from the 94.

Here are some crappy cell phone pictures of the 94

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
That looks pretty clean, glad you have a new member of the family.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #413
The old ZJ is completely stripped and headed to the crusher tomorrow. Only damage to the axles appears to be one of the welds on the front upper control arm, but boxing it in will be a good fix.

As for the old brackets on the frame side, they were welded a little too good the first time haha, they are going to have to stay with the jeep.

It was kind of sad today, not gonna lie; it was like saying goodbye to an old friend, but then I started thinking about how much fun the new ZJ is going to be :D

·
Registered
288 Posts
As for the old brackets on the frame side, they were welded a little too good the first time haha, they are going to have to stay with the jeep.
Not a problem Clay.. as luck would have it i found a full Claytons upgrade kit and will pick it up saturday.

Anything to share on the new build yet?

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #415
Nice score.

Nothing to share yet, as far as pictures go, but the axles and suspension are on the 94; now onto the exhaust, drive shafts, and transfer case swap.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #417
Here is v2.0 almost done.

Attachments

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
I love white Jeeps. I don't see any lifted white ZJ's around here, looking good.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #420
I have clayton longarms front and rear. Now that the suspension is under the 94, it looks like I need to push the front axle forward a little. What are other ZJ wheel bases with clayton long arms?

401 - 420 of 469 Posts