Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1995 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2L V8 (Reman Motor :)!!!!!) with the 249 (All Time 4WD) transfer case. I have a spare 242 transfer case from a wrecked ZJ that works fine. How does the 249 Full time 4WD differ from the 242 Full Time 4WD option? I'm liking the idea of swapping out the 249 for the 242 for the RWD option (since I remember my other ZJ getting slightly better fuel economy and slightly better power/performance due to the absence of inertia of the entire front end in 2WD) but I'm wondernig if the 4WD full time options are the same.

Would I be sacrificing 4WD performance with the 242 vs the 249?

·
Administrator
2,695 Posts
I think the 242 is a much better tcase for on road driving. You really don't give up anything in the swap, but you gain the ability to have 2wd.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the 242 is a much better tcase for on road driving. You really don't give up anything in the swap, but you gain the ability to have 2wd.
Thanks for your input. Thats the feeling I was getting. So by saying I "really don't give up anything..." I'm assuming you mean both 4WD Full Times drive and perform the same (regardless of the different internal mechanisms).

·
Registered
21 Posts
2wd isn't going to gain you any performance though because the tcase won't have the front DS engaged anyway, and everything is still spinning, driveshaft and all regardless. It's not powered, but it's still moving. You gain the reliability of a hard shifting case instead of inertial which is huge if you're actually offroading though which is where the real benefits are.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Can you put a 242 case on a V8 in place of a 249?

I know you can with the I6, but wondering about the V8.

The 242 is from a 93 I6 and I have an early (March) 94 V8 GC that I want to swap it into.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
I think the Chrysler engineers had a fun time with the transfer cases in the ZJ's.

You can pretty much make anything work, you might just have to split both t-cases to swap input shafts if they are a different length or spline.

I don't know why there were so many input shaft options in the ZJ cases.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
so I ended up hanging on to my spare 242 for the time being. But to answer someone's question here, I found out through my junkyard visits that the transmission input shaft of the 249 are in a few different sizes!!!!!! Even from the same years.... it was really confusing but great thing is you can still take off the input shaft from your old 249 and fit that on the 242. A bit of a process from what I saw but possible. I also saw a write-up of that online somewhere.

I was also advised by a 4x4 store clerk that the 4x4 ZJs come with a weaker rear axle and that stealing one from a 2wd jeep would be better.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I was also advised by a 4x4 store clerk that the 4x4 ZJs come with a weaker rear axle and that stealing on from a 2wd jeep would be a safe bet. I'm guessing the rear differentials on the 4x4 weren't meant for handling that much torque (since its split between front and rear in the 249) but the ones on the v6 RWD were....sounds funny at first but makes sense when you think about it.
This part is clear as mud, please explain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts