Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
If the housing is oval, it is a D35. If it is not a perfect oval, it is a D44HD (Aluminum). The 44HD is very different than the other D44 diffs.

The easiest way to test is to grab a magnet off of your fridge, and see if it sticks to the bottom of the rear diff. It is a 30 second test, go do it.
Here is some very good info on the the 44hd 44a 44

I got this from Orangeamc13 over on Jeep Horizons, thank you for the info.

The Dana 44HD 44A M44 all use the same ring and pinion

Here's some info for anyone looking to swap out a D35 for a D44HD, nicknamed D44A for it's aluminum center section.

D44HD Pro's Vs. D44:

Bolts Right In
Get To Maintain ABS (ZJ &WJ) & Speedometer Pickup (WJ Only) (Both Based Off Of Tone Rings)
Thicker Ring Gear
Bigger Pinion Gear (Similar To D60)
Disc Brakes
Bigger Axle Shafts

D44HD Cons Vs. D44:

Lowest Gear Ratio Is 4.88
Only One Locker (Lunchbox Locker) Available For It.
Weak Pressed Axle Tubes (Fixed With Truss)
Aluminum Housing Makes It Prone To Twisting And Destroying The Wheel Bearings.
C-Clips

Specifics:

Dana 35
Ring Gear Diameter = 7.56"
Pinion Shaft Diameter = 1.406"
Ring Gear Bolt Count = 8
Pinion Spline = 26
Cover Bolts = 10
Axle Shafts = 27 Spline
Axle Shaft Diameter =
Axle Housing Diameter = 2.625"
Carrier Break = 3.31 Down; 3.55 Up

Dana 44HD
Ring Gear Diameter = 8.5"
Pinion Shaft Diameter = 1.625"
Ring Gear Bolt Count = 10
Pinion Spline = 29
Cover Bolt Count = 10
Axle Shafts = 30 Spline
Axle Shaft Diameter = 1.25"
Axle Housing Diameter =
Carrier Break = None

Dana 44 (Iron)
Ring Gear Diameter = 8.5"
Pinion Shaft Diameter = 1.376"
Pinion Spline = 26
Cover Bolt Count = 10
Axle Shafts = 30 Spline
Axle Shaft Diameter = 1.19"
Axle Housing Diameter =
Carrier break = 3.73 Down; 3.92 Up

These are also commomly used, but like the D44 are not bolt in and will require some modifications.

Ford 8.8
Ring Gear Diameter = 8.8"
Pinion Shaft Diameter = 1.626"
Pinion Spline = 30
Cover Bolt Count = 10
Axle Shafts = 31 Spline
Axle Shaft Diameter = 1.32"
Axle Housing Diameter =
Carrier Break = None

Dana 60
Ring Gear Diameter = 9.75"
Pinion Shaft Diameter = 1.626"
Ring Gear Bolt Count = 12
Pinion Spline = 29
Cover Bolt Count = 10
Axle Shafts = 30 (3/4 ton) 35 (1 ton)
Axle Shaft Diameter =
Axle Housing Diameter =
Carrier Break =

divco13
View Public Profile
Send a private message to divco13
Find More Posts by divco13
Add divco13 to Your Contacts

·
Registered
11 Posts
What Is the WMS (wheel mounting surface) for the Dana 30 on a 95 ZJ? Ive been looking everywhere and need to know the exact measurement not the guesses. planning on upgrading to u-joints and figured that i might be able to get some shafts from a TJ, YJ, or XJ. Sick and tired of dealing with torn CV boots.

·
Registered
67 Posts
WJ transfer cases for 1999-2004 and a 2004 specific. In 1999 with the introduction of the WJ there was a new transfer case introduced that included new parts for the front and rear axles. This new option was called Vari-Lok which used fluid pressure and clutch packs in the drive line to equalize power between the front and rear, so if the rear spins to much it transfers power to the front to help pull. (NV) new venture gear is now making the transfer cases for the WJ and all other jeeps but is the same company that made the cases for the ZJ.

NV247 Quadra-drive. this is the drive system using the Vari-lok system. 1999-2004

NV247 Quadra-track II. The most commonly used full time 4x4 low and high range selectable transfer case. 1999-2004

NV 147 Quadra-track I. Not commonly seen, full time 4x4 without low range. Only 2004

NV 242 Selec-trac. Probably the most sought after transfer case due to having full selection; 2wd--4wd part time--4wd full time--and 4wd low. 1999-2004 and now is only available for the jeep liberty.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes you can!!!

What Is the WMS (wheel mounting surface) for the Dana 30 on a 95 ZJ? Ive been looking everywhere and need to know the exact measurement not the guesses. planning on upgrading to u-joints and figured that i might be able to get some shafts from a TJ, YJ, or XJ. Sick and tired of dealing with torn CV boots.
You should be able to pull the CV's and axle shafts out both sides and fit XJ or TJ Uni Joint type axles straight in..... but it's a VERY close fit!(some times you need to enlarge the holes.).....if buying NEW, make sure you get axle shafts that have the Tone Ring reluctors pressed on so that your ABS keeps working!.....,also get ones for 95 and later which had the bigger Uni Joints. TJ's didn't have ABS and I think only some XJ's had ABS.

Best solution is to fit RCV brand super-duty Rzeppa CV's and alloy shafts kit. BTW, they use red polyuretane boots and have Zerk fittings to use the special RCV Moly CV Grease......they're guaranteed forever to original purchaser and also come in 30 spline size for even more strenght - but you need new 30 spline spider gears or locker then. Standard 27 spline kit costs about $1000 and worth every cent!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Info about the front and rear stock speakers. I found it some what usefull
Front speaker mounting specifications:

Speaker cut-out opening: 8-1/2" x 5-3/4"
Speaker opening depth (to glass): 2-7/8"
Factory speaker mounting depth: 2-11/16"
Factory speaker thickness: 3-5/16"
Factory speaker size: 9-1/8" x 6-5/16"
Distance between screws: 6-9/16" & 4-5/8"
Factory speaker part # (Infinity): 56038656AA

Rear speaker mounting specifications:

Speaker cut-out opening: 5-3/4" diameter
Speaker opening depth (to glass): 2-7/8"
Factory speaker mounting depth: 1-7/8"
Factory speaker thickness: 2-9/16"
Factory speaker size w/grill: 6-3/4"
Distance between screws: 6-1/2"
Factory speaker part # (Infinity): 56038657AA

Info from http://www.wjjeeps.com

·
Registered
11 Posts
just bought 2000 grand cherokee bit of snow down so thought id try the four wheel drive stopped on a hill just rear axle spin pulled 4hi same then part time same just rear axle spinning then put trans in N then D and pulled up hill . is this normal to engage i thought it was just for 4lo

·
Registered
46 Posts
haha k thanks I'll go yank on it then
damn. and to think i thought this site was family friendly:D.
back ot: some great info here guys, its nice to finally stumble into a group that actually know gc's. new to jeep and this forum, but not to wheeling or a wrenching. ive gotten more answers here on the last few days then i have over the last year on several other forums.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Does the NV247 Quadra-trac II also have veri-lok or is it only the Quadra drive? I know the Quadra-trac has some type of limited slip.
I believe only Quadra-Drive does, That's the only difference I know of between Quadra-Drive and Quadra-Trac II. The NV-247 is a Quadra-Trac II T-case and the Vari-Lok is the pump system in the differentials that splits the power between the left and right wheels naming the system Quadra-Drive. Where Quadra-Trac II can only transfer engine power to the front or back as needed, Quadra-Drive having Vari-Lok allows power transfer to the front and back and left or right wheels individually as needed. Jeep claims "Even if only one wheel is on the ground, Quadra-Drive will send all the power to that one wheel and keep you moving."

Hope this helps :)

·
Administrator
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Now for Jeep Transmissions

93-93.5 4.0 - AW4

93.5-04 4.0 - 42RE

93-95 5.2 - 46RH

96-98 5.2 - 44RE

98 5.9 - 46RE

99-00 4.7 - 45RFE

01-04 4.7 - 545RFE

·
Registered
30 Posts
Now for Jeep Transmissions

93-93.5 4.0 - AW4

93.5-04 4.0 - 42RE

93-95 5.2 - 46RH

96-98 5.2 - 44RE

98 5.9 - 46RE

99-00 4.7 - 45RFE

01-04 4.7 - 545RFE
Just a side note, the 45RFE can be a 545RFE. The only difference is a PCM flash from the dealer. my 2000 had it done way back in the day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 5.9 limited was made only in 1998.
It had a long list of changes.
Among them.

46RE transmission.
Wheels.
Electric cooling fan.
Seats where changed.
Most options where now standard.
Grill.
Hood vents.
Badges.
Hitch was not the same? (I have herd this but never looked my self.)
Sound bar? (Have herd this as well but never seen a 5.9 in person.)

ZJs have 6 1/2" speakers in all 4 doors.

In 99 the WJ 4.0 moved to the 0331 head casting do to the coil on plug change. They where known to crack.

The ZJ had to options for its rear hatch. One with a fixed glass, and one where the glass can be opened.

There where 2 factory hitch options on the ZJ. The early ZJs got a hitch that had its cross bar below the bumper. Later ZJs had a hidden hitch style where the cross bar was behind the bumper.

The ZJ is rated to tow 5,000lb if it has a hitch with a 5,000lb or higher ratting.

That's all I have right now.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
ZJs when equipped with the factory tow package are rated for 6,500 lbs.

Hunter

41 - 56 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.