Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Administrator
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It takes a lot of fab work to make any iron 44 fit under a ZJ. The v8 ZJs 96 and after came with an aluminum 44 in the rear

·
Registered
341 Posts
Ive been wondering how the strength of that aluminum 44 compares to an iron 35. better to swap to the 44 or just stuff some alloy shafts in a 35?

·
Administrator
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I contemplated swapping in a 44a into mine, but I decided to wait and swapped in a 8.8. In my opinion, the 44a would be a better upgrade for the $$ than doing anything to a 35.

·
Administrator
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Really depends on what you want to do with the jeep on which axles will serve you best.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone have a list of the check engine light codes and tranny codes? Im not getting any CEL codes, but I am getting a 13 code on my OD light. I am ASSuming its the speed sensor since my odometer doesn't work, and my tranny is acting funky. Such as my OD kicking off for no reason. The light illuminates and I can't shut it off. Anyways, TCM codes would be pretty awesome right now.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The speed sensor is on the rear output shaft of the transfer case. I can't say for certain, but I doubt it has anything to do with your tranny problems.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
If the housing is oval, it is a D35. If it is not a perfect oval, it is a D44HD (Aluminum). The 44HD is very different than the other D44 diffs.

The easiest way to test is to grab a magnet off of your fridge, and see if it sticks to the bottom of the rear diff. It is a 30 second test, go do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Renoswl from Reno

It takes a lot of fab work to make any iron 44 fit under a ZJ. The v8 ZJs 96 and after came with an aluminum 44 in the rear

This is the first I heard of 96 and new ZJs have aluminum 44s. I used a magnet on the tubes and the pumpkin (case). The case appeared to be none magnetic (aluminum), no wanted my diff sounds like my grandma’s 1942 washing machine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What are the main differences between the 4.0L '93-'95 and '96 on up ZJs?

So far I've discovered the following:

- '93-'93.5 came with AW-4 Automatic Transmissions, '93.5 on up came with the 42RE
- '93-'95 had optional AX-15 Manual Transmissions

I'm specifically wondering if a 42RE transmission from a '96+ ZJ will work to replace the one in my '94. I'm assuming all 42RE transmissions were the same?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Your a little off on the years of the ZJ with the manual tranny. The ZJ ONLY came with a Manual Transmission in 93 and early 94. I used to have one.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thats because yank up on it is the way to remove it

21 - 40 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.