Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Administrator
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a sticky for all of the "basic" info that you know about your Grand Cherokee, but someone else may not (i.e. the 4.0 holds 6 quarts of oil).

This sticky is also for useful information in your owners manual, that could help someone that has lost their manual (i.e. what fuse controls what).

·
Administrator
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For a 93 the fuse box is located beside the glove box on the outside of the dash that sits flush to the passenger side door when it is closed. The fuses control the following

1 power antenna relay, trailer to relay
2 brake lamps
3 hazard lamps
4 security lamp
5 interior lighting
6 security alarm module
7 security alarm relay & module, flash-to-pass
8 overhead console, keyless entry, radio memory, clock/chime module, power locks, power mirrors, HEVAC and VIC
9 rear wiper
10 radio accessory
11 cigar lighter
12 parking lamos, automatic headlamps
13 horn relay
14 power lock relay
15 ABS module and relay
16 turn signals
17 heater & air conditioner module
18 air bag module
19 interior mirror, auto head lamps, overhead console, VIC/GDM module, heated rear window relay coil, illuminated entry relay, chime module
20 heated rear window switch, overdrive switch, speed control
21 security alarm module, lamp outage module
22 air bag module, speedometer, tachometer, telltales, guages
23 heated mirror feed, heated rear window switch
24 instrument panel illumination
25 power seats
26 power windows
27 security alarm module, front wiper
28 heated rear window relay

·
Administrator
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Detailed diagram of the Dana 30

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
A ZJ is the designation given to Grand Cherokees from 1993 to 1998. In 1999 the Grand Cherokee was redesigned and the new version was labeled the WJ.

Edit: FYI in 2005 the Grand Cherokee went through another redesign and from 2005 - present it was labeled the WK

·
Registered
4 Posts
A ZJ is the designation given to Grand Cherokees from 1993 to 1998. In 1999 the Grand Cherokee was redesigned and the new version was labeled the WJ.

Edit: FYI in 2005 the Grand Cherokee went through another redesign and from 2005 - present it was labeled the WK
So by reading this my 2004 is a Grand Cherokee Laredo is a WJ?

·
Administrator
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are three main transfer cases found in ZJs.

1) 249 Quadra-trac - 4all time, N, 4low
2) 242 Selec-trac - 2wd, 4full time, 4high, N, 4low
3) 231 Command-trac - 2wd, 4high, N, 4low

V8 ZJs most of the time came form the facotry with the 249.

·
Registered
88 Posts

so question, mine has 2wd, 4part-time, 4high, N, 4low..I thought it was the 231???

·
Registered
197 Posts
which is the best for wheeling? And I imagine 4WD fulltime is more like AWD and not 4WD (which is what the part-time is?)
correct. 4fulltime is awd and good on wet or dry surfaces. you may choose to engage fulltime and leave it on that setting forever if you wish. part time is your typical 4high&4low settings, for use wheeling and lower speeds(mud, rough terrain, etc.).

·
Registered
13 Posts
now i have the 249, am i able to swap out to the 242 or the 231??

·
Administrator
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

·
Administrator
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Death Wobble - comes in many forms, but basically it is the shaking and hopping of the front end of your Grand when you reach a certain speed, and you feel as if you might lose control of the vehicle.

Check out this sticky for all you need to know about it http://www.nagca.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8078

·
Registered
48 Posts
When shifting from 4 wheel full time/part time to 2 wheel, you can do it while moving. However, the shift might not happen immediately. Sometimes, you have to release the throttle to break torque to allow the transfer case to shift.

·
Registered
87 Posts
When shifting from 4 wheel full time/part time to 2 wheel, you can do it while moving. However, the shift might not happen immediately. Sometimes, you have to release the throttle to break torque to allow the transfer case to shift.
Always, always shift the transmission into neutral before adjusting the transfer case! Just for an FYI, the user manual says not to switch modes above 55mph.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.