Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

Bad Noises after Trans Replacement

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ramian 
#1 ·
I can't seem to win. I just replaced the 42re on my 97 grand 4.0. The trans is a freshly rebuilt unit with new torque converter. I had some issues with torque converter alignment when installing. I had to take some flywheel bolts back out due to the motor wanting to seize while turning by hand. After removing some, I believe I got everything lined up correctly and bolted it all together. The engine is flush with the trans. The torque converter was moving freely when installing the flywheel bolts (the second time). I thought everything was gravy. I fired it up after buttoning everything up and it made a terrible metal scratching sound. To me, it sounded like a flywheel bolt scratching against something (rotational metal scraping sound). I tried putting it into drive thinking the fluid had to get around and the engine stalled. I have not tried to start it again. I will try pulling the inspection plate to see if those flywheel bolt heads are damaged. Any other ideas on what I messed up? Thanks all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.