Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have asked this before, and I will ask this again.. I have a Dana 30 and a Dana 35 axles in my GC. I want 35" tires. can I run them. I am not changing gears i HAVE 4.10s With Trac locs F&R. TNT trusses on both. Will it hold up to 5-6 trails. Do not tell me to upgrade to a 8.8 I had one and It blew it the F*CK up on 33's no traction aids both axles snapped and the R&P broke so severaly it almost blew out the pumpkin and did come out the cover. I just want to know will they hold up to mild offroading until I get my 9" axles. And dont tell me not to get them. I had 40 spline 9"s in my drag car pushing 2200HP spinning 33" slicks half way down a drag strip I know they will hold up (thanks Mark Williams) Or does any one have a axle idea maybe I should try. Short of rockwells or 60's I dont have alot of money, but I do have 2 ford 9" axles just laying around. Please give me serious info not flaming sh*t. Also anyone in the Durango area that can help with a R&P intall will pay $200.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
A D35 will not hold up to 35 inch tires, I wouldn't even do that with an open diff. The largest tire I would run with a D35 is a 32, and I would make sure I was wheeling with a very light right foot.

People here have snapped D35 shafts with 31 inch tires. Upgrade your axles, then your tires.

If you want to run 35's, I would find a D44HD aluminum center section axle from a Grand Cherokee. It will bolt in, and handle your 35's. Just truss the axle. Then put in some chromo front axle shafts. But if you want to go to a Ford 9, all the better. It will just be more work. How are you going to run a 9 in the front? Where there off centered 9 inch axles made for use as a front axle?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No they never did, but with a little fabricatin it can happen, ,and you just get custom axles from MW, or Moser, or someone like that. and you can get a big bearing axle tubes from the same people, cut the old ones out weld in the new ones truss it up and call it good. Or I think Currie makes one

·
Registered
76 Posts
And housings for that matter! I am running waggy 44 front and 8.8 rear with 36's and no problems.

·
Registered
660 Posts
How far off into the future are you planning this axle swap? If it's not far off into the future, I would just hold off and upgrade to 35s when you swap axles -- it's often easier doing everything at once. Plus you don't risk any setbacks should you explode your D35.

I can understand your desire to not swap an 8.8, based on past experiences (I'm admittedly curious how the 8.8 was built and what conditions it broke in) but I would recommend popping the diff cover for your D35 and pulling one of your shafts. Then compare the shaft and internals(at least mentally if you haven't kept the broken parts for sentimental reasons) to the 8.8 and I think you will quickly find your answer about whether to run 35s.

That said, people have successfully wheeled a D35 on 35s, but just stay off the skinny pedal. So I'm going to say that it depends on your wheeling style.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts