Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IMO,
lockers are amazing tools, I went through this same battle for months before I made a desicion. what it came down to was... I do a lot of wheeling, and when I wheel, I go all out, but at the same time, I drive on the road, and I drive on the road a lot... so the ARB was the only thing that made sense to me. choosing between and LSD and ARB was easy... half of the expense for either is the installation. Just opening the diff will cost you. from there, purchasing the actual locker and compressor was a mear two or three hundred dollar add on... well worth it for completely unaffected on road ride... and total peace of mind off road. BTW. I chose to go with ARB in back. its the stronger axle, and personally I think that the biggest time you need a locker is when there is a slight incline, where the weight is being transfered to the rear, which allows for greater traction to begin with, coupled with the locker.... your good to go!
Just my oppinion
*reduce traffic... go four wheelin*

·
Registered
69 Posts
When I went looking I seriously considered the ARB. Due to the amount of pavement my Jeep sees. I ended up choosing detriot just so I wouldn't have to think about flipping a switch. Believe it or not... the new no-slip detriots.. even in my Wrangler, I hardly notice. The only time is changing gears on the freeway... you can feel the tug.

hey.. and before you all beat me up for driving a wrangler and posting to a grand site. I also have the grandfather grand. the grand wagoneer, anything else was just a copy. :D

On 2002-02-08 07:22, skijeepn wrote:
IMO,
lockers are amazing tools, I went through this same battle for months before I made a desicion. what it came down to was... I do a lot of wheeling, and when I wheel, I go all out, but at the same time, I drive on the road, and I drive on the road a lot... so the ARB was the only thing that made sense to me. choosing between and LSD and ARB was easy... half of the expense for either is the installation. Just opening the diff will cost you. from there, purchasing the actual locker and compressor was a mear two or three hundred dollar add on... well worth it for completely unaffected on road ride... and total peace of mind off road. BTW. I chose to go with ARB in back. its the stronger axle, and personally I think that the biggest time you need a locker is when there is a slight incline, where the weight is being transfered to the rear, which allows for greater traction to begin with, coupled with the locker.... your good to go!
Just my oppinion
*reduce traffic... go four wheelin*

·
Registered
186 Posts
Don't forget the other manual locker. The Ox Trac. It is the new kid on the block but is getting a good reputation in a hurry. Those who have the 249 are limited in what they can do. You have plently of choices for the rear end, providing you don't have the aluminum Dana 44. The front I would go with either the Ox or ARB.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have an ARB in the front of my D30 with a warn hub conversion. I love it. I highly recommend it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts