Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I've used the search function, but I must not be using it correctly, since I couldn't find the answer to something I'm sure gets asked monthly, if not weekly.

I have a 1999 JGC Laredo that decided it didn't want to run one day. On Boxing Day, I parked it in the garage, then on NY eve, I went out to start it and it would idle rough and stall....didn't have any throttle response and all the dash cluster was flashing (assumed it was because the alternator wasn't turning enough). No engine code found either by turn key or with a cheap obdii scanner. I disconnected the battery to reset the computer and it didn't change anything. One evening, I was able to forcefully start it and rev it, but it real bad and didn't run as smoothly as it was. I then noticed the exhaust between the cat and muffler became bright orange.

So anyways, I lost faith and had it for sale. Someone called me last night and asked if I still had it for sale and asked what it had done and such. He then giggled and said it was in anti theft lock down mode. He said i should look it up and should be able to fix it within 2 minutes....well after work; I want to go check it out. The only thing I found about it, is to lock myself in the vehicle with the key fob, then open the door from the inside???? Is that it??? Sounds pretty simple?

Any help would be great. My better half has be without a vehicle since and we have a newborn. Sure, she loves to use the stroller and go for walks, but it would still be nice if she could drive somewhere without asking her mother haha.

Thanks in advance!!!

Derek

·
Registered
30 Posts
Id be interested to hear of the outcome of this as well...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the guy that called me was pretty good. He said he wanted to buy it, but didn't want to pull the wool over my eyes and be an *** by having it running before it left the yard haha.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Have you tested the battery during all of this? I ask because it affects the security system. If the battery is good then go ahead and lock and unlock the driver side door from the outside with the key, not the fob. And make sure the battery inside the fob is good too. All locking yourself inside and opening the door will do is set off the alarm.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The battery seems fine, It cranks and will fire up the Jeep when I try it...the Jeep just stalls itself afterwards.

This is why I'm confused, in the past 6 years, I've never once heard the factory alarm. I was told the 99's didn't have it haha.

Will it matter if all doors are unlocked prior to doing this test? No special treatment? Just lock and unlock with the key and all should be dandy? LOL

I'll be trying that out. Hopefully it resolves the issue.

Thanks!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I believe what they're saying is you use the keyfob to lock the Jeep, then unlock the driver door with the key from the outside and that should take you out of the mode it's in?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll try a combination of anything haha

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sooooo, back to the battery suggestion. Can a battery be bad, even if all accessories turn on and it wants to crank? I put a trickle charger on it, since I wasn't able to get it going after work...I'll see what it says tomorrow...

Anything else I could check that would cause this issue?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Is it actually cranking over or just clicking?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's cranking and will start, but I can't rev it or drive it...its a really rough idle, then it stalls...

The battery tender I hooked up on it last night wasn't showing fully charged this am....maybe the battery is toast, but will still light up all accessories and crank? Does that make any sense?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would the lack of fuel cause the fuel to ignite in the exhaust and turn it bright orange??

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I chopped off the cat to check this already hehe...now it backfires haha

·
Registered
395 Posts
maybe the battery is toast, but will still light up all accessories and crank? Does that make any sense?
Even if the accessories light up and it cranks the battery still could be bad under a load but, to me, this doesn't sound like a battery or a security issue. If it were a security issue it would not start at all, it would just crank and crank. Your security system should cut power to the fuel pump and also the security light would be on while cranking. I wish I knew what kind of issue this was.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
11 Posts
So this is sort of what happened to me too.....

I had to replace the starter and disconnected the negative post of the battery to change it, easy....15 minute job. When I hooked up the battery - winky-blinky non-stopped. I figured if I started it with the key it would go away, nada....it would start and die, repeatedly.

THE FIX......

I locked the doors with the electric locks, close the door then unlock the drivers door with the key. Problem solved.

Hope this helps. And on another note I didn't have a clue there was a security system installed, bonus!!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've tried different combos, but I'll try again.

I noticed my "check Gauge" light lit, and while looking at all the gauges, noticed the voltage one dosnt move much. What controls the voltage on the WJ? My ZJ had a single ignition coil, is the WJ the same? I thkught it had a coil for each cylinder?

·
Registered
140 Posts
check that the throttle in the engine is responding to the pedal being depressed, how are you reving it up? from inside the jeep or from the engine? When you say it wont rev do you mean the needle on the gauge wont show response? or the engine itself? This will all help in finding out what the problem is, granted it doesnt turn out to be the alarm. Dont give up on it though they are pretty simple vehicles in my opinion everythings pretty straight forward. What engine do you have?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts