Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to brief and complete. I have a 1995 GC with V8/auto and 249 t/c. Transfer case is a late style gear cut with long shaft. Picked up a 231 case from a GC with 4.0/auto that has build date of 5/2/94 with short shaft and old style gear cut. My questions are: do I need the long input shaft with the old style gear cut and where is the cheapest place to get it. I saw the Novak link and believe they have the part shown for about $180 which is ok if it is indeed the correct part. Thanks for any input(no pun intended).

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Take them apart and measure them, we don't have a crystal ball. Did you see the thread just below this asking the same question?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did measure both gears. My 249 input gear is approx. 5.13" overall and the 231 gear is approx. 4.31". This is from the back side of gear to the end of the shaft. I know I need a gear with the same length as the 249. The part I believe I need is 18676.10 which crosses to a 4761068. Does anyone know if this the early style gear cut or later style? The Novak part I was looking at is#23LWES. This appears to be the same gear I need too. I'll call Novak tomorrow to check. Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'll try to brief and complete. I have a 1995 GC with V8/auto and 249 t/c. Transfer case is a late style gear cut with long shaft. Picked up a 231 case from a GC with 4.0/auto that has build date of 5/2/94 with short shaft and old style gear cut. My questions are: do I need the long input shaft with the old style gear cut and where is the cheapest place to get it. I saw the Novak link and believe they have the part shown for about $180 which is ok if it is indeed the correct part. Thanks for any input(no pun intended).
Im in the opposite position. My brother has a '93 V8 with the older gear cut and we picked up a post '95 231 with the newer gear cut.

You do need the older longer input shaft.

If you were local, I would offer to swap the input shafts with you.

I think it would be cheaper buying a used t-case than just buying the shaft.

E

1 - 4 of 4 Posts