Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'll keep checking for updates, I might be able to swing comin down. that weekend.

·
Registered
125 Posts
according to the computer it's like a 9 hour ride. No big deal to me, just have to get the wife to agee upon vacationing there.

·
Registered
840 Posts
can someone post more info on this..ive never been to one and would def like to but prob wont have my jeep ready for this year but would like to know what kinda trails we are looking at and how much it is..etc

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
can someone post more info on this..ive never been to one and would def like to but prob wont have my jeep ready for this year but would like to know what kinda trails we are looking at and how much it is..etc
There is more information about the trails here: http://harlancountytrails.com/
Harlan offers something for a wide variety of rigs, from everything from an almost-stock vehicle to tube buggies. We welcome rigs of all levels to attend, and we always divide into multiple groups, based on vehicle and driver comfort level. I would personally recommend at minimum: 4wd, all terrain tires, skids, and lockers if possible. However, the great thing about Harlan is that most trails are accessible (and viewable) via the washboard gravel roads that span the whole area. This means that a vehicle on stock tires could wheel all the way up watch tube buggies play on some of the hardest obstacles. Maps are available for order on the web site linked above- they'll illustrate how friendly the layout of the trail system really is.

The event is based out of Evarts, KY, which is just outside of Harlan, KY. Camping runs $20/night per spot (can be shared by multiple vehicles/people/tents) and comes with a full water/RV/electrical hookup at the South Evarts RV campground. There are also cabins available for rent in the town of Evarts, which are also listed on the website above. You can bring your own food, or you can combine camp cooking with some tasty meals from the diner that's adjacent to the campground, called the Dairy Hut. It's nothing fancy- just burgers, sandwiches, and milkshakes, but it can really hit the spot after a long day wheeling. Access to the trails is 1 mile from the campground, and we head out for the trails around 9am each day. We normally wheel Friday, Saturday, and half a day on Sunday. Feel free to wheel as many or as few of those days as you like.

The only other expense you can expect is a permit to wheel. They cost $20/month, or pay $35 and get 12 months of access to the trails. There are no options for daily or weekly permits yet- monthly is the cheapest. Permits can be mail-ordered by emailing Susan Haught at [email protected] ... or in person at Buddy's Chevron station in Evarts.

We try to keep our event simple and without frills- which translates into no attendance fees. All we ask is that you provide for your own food, lodging, and bring a trail-ready vehicle and a good attitude.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'll definitely keep tuned to this thread right here, my rig isn't close to being where I want it, but I think I could make the drive up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have been to the harlan county trails/black bear mountain several times with my zj, there are some good trails and rock gardens there. :)

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guys, this subforum (and especially this thread) is intended to be about the GSSE event. You may want to ask the site administrator for your own regional forum to discuss local meet and greets and wheeling trips.

that said....

Something new for this year... We're giving away this plate to whoever travels the farthest to attend GSSE. The person who either tows or drives their rig the most miles to attend will be the winner. You must bring a rig to be eligible to win and be able to tell us how many miles you drove to get there.

·
Registered
349 Posts
ATL ZJ ru driving up and if so what day?
Im throwing mine on a trailer in case I break something. This is its maiden voyage and I fully expect ot break something.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts