Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 95 zj, and it's all wheel drive.

Is it possible to replace the tcase with something that will a) lock up in 4wd hi and low b) have awd mode c) allow you to put hubs on the front to have true 2wd mode?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
61 Posts
On 2002-02-04 07:53, [email protected] wrote:
I've got a 95 zj, and it's all wheel drive.

Is it possible to replace the tcase with something that will a) lock up in 4wd hi and low b) have awd mode c) allow you to put hubs on the front to have true 2wd mode?

Thanks in advance
Yes. I am assuming that you have a V8 with a QuadraTrac system (NV249) TC.

You can swap in a NV242 (SelecTrac) or a NV242HD (heavy duty) tranfer case. This will give you 2wd, 4pt, 4ft (as you have now), and 4lo with low-lock.

Having never done this I am not sure about the drive shaft output requirements. My recollection is that the 249, which is what you have now, is a slightly shorter case than the 242. This will require some rear shaft work. I am pretty sure that the front needs no work, and it is a direct fit.

I hope that someone with more tech knowledge chimes in on this one to furnish the details or what is needed.

Secondly, you will need or want a new bezel for the console, you can get one out of a wreck or from the stealership. (If you buy a new TC case the bezel should come with it.)

Lastly: I am not sure how the VIC handles the change.

There are numberous people on JU who have done this very change in the last several months, Chances are some of them are members here too and will pipe in.

Good Luck
Zac

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Yes, you just described the 242 (or Selec-Trac) transfer case that was an option on the ZJ.

Essentially it is a bolt-in replacement for the 249 (Quadra-Trac) case that you just described having.

Jay

·
Registered
828 Posts
You may want to also think about the short shaft kit while your at it, especially if there is any drive shaft work involved.

Also, how do you tell the difference between the regular and HD models? Have not really looked at mine that closely.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chris_L on 2002-02-04 14:06 ]</font>

·
Registered
542 Posts
http://www.jbconversions.com/pages/np231hd/index.html

Here you go...this is a HD 231.

The 231 is probably your best choice if you want to save money in the long run.

This only applies if you are planning to do some major mods in the future. i.e 4"+ inches of lift and mixed in with some hardcore wheeling.

The 231 is the 'next best' thing to an ATLAS case...they run around $1,500 more bills /forum/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

The AWD feature, i'm told this cannot really be used when the Grand is raised more than 4"...i dunno how the long arms kits will handle this tho. !!!

My .02 worth...

·
Registered
61 Posts
On 2002-02-04 19:25, RufftyTuffty wrote:
The 231 is probably your best choice if you want to save money in the long run.

This only applies if you are planning to do some major mods in the future. i.e 4"+ inches of lift and mixed in with some hardcore wheeling.

The 231 is the 'next best' thing to an ATLAS case...they run around $1,500 more bills /forum/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

The AWD feature, i'm told this cannot really be used when the Grand is raised more than 4"...i dunno how the long arms kits will handle this tho. !!!

My .02 worth...
My (242) full time functions just fine at 4.5" of lift.

Otherwise the 231 seems to be a stronger more durable case.

I'm a holdout for the new 241 going into the rubicon and hoping that it fits a ZJ.

Zac

·
Registered
35 Posts
Keep your eyes open and you can find a good used 231 for a couple hundred. Check the swap meets and local clubs. The 231 is the best choice for serious wheeling and it came in the early model of the Grand.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I talked to George at TCUnlimited the other day and he is selling the 231 for $550 + $100 for shipping. I am planning on doing this as soon as I get the credit card bill down and some xtra cash in my pocket. By the way, the 231 that he is selling is a direct bolt in. No modifications to drivelines or anything is necessary. Plus it comes with the shifter bezel.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I just did the 249->242 swap a few weeks ago. I purchased the TC from George at TCUnlimited for $900. That includes shipping both ways. It was a direct bolt in. The project took about 5 hrs which I did by myself in a driveway with a large floor jack. My jeep sits 2-3" above stock and the driveshafts fit without any lengthing. The 231 is also a good option, but not if you want to use 4wd on pavement. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts