Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at All Weather tires (NOT All Season) and Nokian and Hankook (I'm in Canada) have good reviews. Can't find the Nokian WR G2 or the Hankook Optimo 4S in 225 75R 16. One place will sell me the Nokian in 235 70R 16.

I'm in a snow belt, surrounded by ski resorts and have driven the last 20 years on All Season tires with no problem so the All Weather tires may be a moot point but:

Is anyone using All Weather tires? Do you recommend them?

Is that tire size change reasonable? Dangerous?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am not 100% I understand the All Weather versus All season designation. I am thinking they are the one in the same.

I lived in a Ski resort town for 10+ years and my BFG AT/TA KO's were "mountain' rated. You know, the mountain symbol with the snowflake in the middle.

After about 40k miles they did not perform as well as they did when they were new. My yeti ran on rails with those tires in the nastiest weather i had ever seen. Of course I wasn't driving like a moron.

It started out as rain, then a few hours it was sleet, then a few hours wet heavy snow, followed up with pristine powder on top. I had drove down the mountain around two 's' hairpin turns and about 10-15% down grade.

The BFG's handled it like a boss.

As for the tire size, I am not sure if your running with a lift or what your set up is. If it helps at all, I ran with some Firestone All Season TA's in a 235/75 r15 and they were slightly small on a stock ZJ with a 2 1/4" BB lift.

IMHO, the 'All Weather' labelled tire seems to be more of a marketing ploy than anything else. I would look for that "mountain" with the snowflake symbol to start and see what you like from there. Studs are cheap, and easily put in for a fair price should you choose to do so.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All weather tires are fairly new but you are right that the term is misused by some. Ignorantly or maliciously I can't say but several tire places I called yesterday tried to tell me AW and AS were the same thing. They are NOT.

All Weather tires have the snowflake on a mountain symbol but are a new rubber compound that does not soften in summer like a dedicated snow tire's rubber does. You can run AW all year. They perform as well in summer as AS, better than AS in winter though not quite as good as a dedicated snow tire in winter. You don't need to worry about changing them on time to beat that mid October snow dump only to have temperatures soar for the next month and you don't need an extra set of rims.

The chart at this Kaltire website gives you some idea of their performance capabilities:

http://www.kaltire.com/all-weather-...y9xyQlqS_9sGEvbOSpvtuPpxms61DBJQ5jBoCXrTw_wcB

And I see I got the tire a bit wrong, it's the Nokian WRG3, or WRG2 which is an older version, that I want.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts