Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.7 V-8.
My bright red Airbag light, right in the middle of my instrument cluster is blazing. I have no codes showing up for it, but let me ask if my thinking is right.
For some time, maybe two summers, my A/C would deposit a lot of water in the passenger foot-well. I did the drilling out of the little box just above the foot-well and sending a coat hanger down. All to no avail. Then I read another fix of putting a length of 3/8" tubing on the engine side of the firewall to the drain port. That worked now for two seasons of cooling. I'm very happy as I had the same problem with my '93 GC for the life of the car!
Here's my reckoning. Did the water do something to a connector to the Airbag? Is there circuitry in the passenger foot-well that could have been soaked?
Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You would have a code pretty much no matter what is wrong with the system. If the wiring is bad, you would have a code for that. If a fuse is blown you would have a code for that too. What kind of scanner are you using? That particular scanner may not be able to retrieve the codes that are in the PCM. I would try a diff scanner or have the one you are using updated(if possible) and go from there. Some handheld scanners only read simple DTC's and not airbag or ABS codes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info. I'll drop by the local Advance Auto and have them pull the codes for me. I have a little $25 scanner borrowed from my son-in-law. I'm sure it has its limitations.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
it is most likely an intremitent light as in goes on and off. srs dtcs are not hard codes you must scan it when the light is on to see a code and when ou do it should be a code for the drivers side squib. that is the explosive device that pops the air bag out. dont freak out! your not going to die. the problem is the clock spring whigh is in the stearing collum. this is what allows current to pass to the air bag with out tangeling up wires as you turn the wheel. not a hard fix part is $60-$80 depending on location of purchase.

2 Posts
My Air Bag light remains on. I think the first thing I need to do is check the fuse but I am unaware of the specific fuse to check. This a 2008 Grand Cherokee Limited. Need to know what fuse to check. Thanks Dan

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's pretty unlikely that the fuse is blown. 08 grands use a CAN bus system which means everything uses its own computer module and newer Chrysler vehicles unfortunately have issues with modules going bad. U will need to scan for codes. This will tell you everything u need to know, whether its a blown fuse, faulty circuitry, bad module, or whatever the case may be. You may not be able to retrieve codes from a non dealer scanner tho. A decent Snapon scanner should.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Keep in mind that most of the cheaper scanners will not read ABS codes.

2 Posts
Thanks guys. I made an appt with the Jeep people for Monday morning. I thought this would a quick fix but should have known better. Have an extended warranty so it probably will be covered. Sure do appreciate the fast responses though. Dan

·
Registered
1 Posts
2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo....My bright red Airbag light, right in the middle of my instrument cluster is blazing
The Airbag light remaining on is the tell-tale sign of the known issue with 99-2004 WJ's that is responsible for random airbag deployment. There is a recall / fix planned at the end of January.

Chrysler recall on Jeeps: Defective part could cause inadvertent air-bag deployment

www.toledoblade.com/Automotive/2012/11/10/Chrysler-recall-on-Jeeps-Defective-part-could-cause-inadvertent-air-bag-deployment.html

Most people report that before the airbag randomly goes off the dashboard "Airbag" light comes on and stays on prior to the bags blowing.

Be careful and be one of the first to get the free fix from your local Jeep Dealership when they announce it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts