Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
It is good to see this thread has come back to life...I will toss some of my info in here now that I am running the Iceland stuff on my WJ.

I have looked at the iceland offroad flares and really like the idea of fiberglass and how they look but I am scared of the install... I also would worry about the body rigidity in the area of the cut. I work in construction and know firsthand Expanding foam is nowhere near stuctural. Has anyone installed these and had problems out of them, or found a way around the great stuff? If so I really like the look and the low ceter of gravity while stll running bug rubber idea. Thanks for all the replys.:)
The install isn't bad, you can see the whole process on my install thread:
http://www.nagca.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40790

I used body panel adhesive, it is WAY stronger than expanding foam. It is used in the factory to seam body panels together on vehicles. I am not worried about rigidity at all anymore.

Bushwackers flares aren't fiberglass...they are plastic. Now I'm not saying that they are any better or worse than the Icelands. But if you look at fiberglass and how it reacts to getting slammed around, then take a look at plastic of the same design, thickness, or what have you I would think the plastic would hold up better to abuse...just my 2 cents as well ;-)
Plastic isn't anywhere near as strong as fiberglass. Compare the damage that factory grand cherokee bumpers get on the rocks with the simple paint scratches that the Iceland bumpers get when they smack the rocks. Bushwackers are not as thick as your factory bumper plastics. The buswackers look cool. I might have bought them if they made them for the WJ, but I had to keep looking. I'm glad I found Iceland. I have seen two different friends tear their bushwacker fender flares wheeling, one on a rock and the other on a tree. They look cool, and provide coverage. But I went with fiberglass because I know it will last as longer than the Jeep.

·
Registered
454 Posts
It is good to see this thread has come back to life...I will toss some of my info in here now that I am running the Iceland stuff on my WJ.

The install isn't bad, you can see the whole process on my install thread:
http://www.nagca.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40790

I used body panel adhesive, it is WAY stronger than expanding foam. It is used in the factory to seam body panels together on vehicles. I am not worried about rigidity at all anymore.

Plastic isn't anywhere near as strong as fiberglass. Compare the damage that factory grand cherokee bumpers get on the rocks with the simple paint scratches that the Iceland bumpers get when they smack the rocks. Bushwackers are not as thick as your factory bumper plastics. The buswackers look cool. I might have bought them if they made them for the WJ, but I had to keep looking. I'm glad I found Iceland. I have seen two different friends tear their bushwacker fender flares wheeling, one on a rock and the other on a tree. They look cool, and provide coverage. But I went with fiberglass because I know it will last as longer than the Jeep.
I've done some lookin, and I've started to change my opinion. From what I've been told the Bushwacker flares aren't "plastic" though...they're some kind of ploy-plastic that flexes. My original point was that a bushwacker flare will flex a bit when hit...where as the fiberglass flare wont. I think maybe the flex might help a bit instead of just banging against something and transferring all that energy into the fender. But I do agree that the Iceland flares are tougher...I just don't know if that's a good thing or not yet.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Nobody mentioned that for a few dollars and a half hour you can repair fiberglass yourself.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I love my Bushwacker Cutout flares. I wheel every weekend Hard and they stand up to the punishment.

Any pics or videos of the BW's standing up to the punishment of your hard wheelin' ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
The WJ BW flares are quite a bit thicker than the stock bumper plastic.
I scuffed mine up on rocks/trees last trail ride and thats all they did, scuff.

81 - 87 of 87 Posts