Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
why would you want to pay that much for fiberglass flares to clear larger tires when you could lift it higher, giving you more height and axle articulation? lifting it another inch or tow or getting those flares is not that much difference in price. not to mention i dont even think theyre painted, another cost. those things will get crunched in a second on a trail too.

He said he was already at 7" of lift. The price is about the same as bushwaker for yj/tj etc. They are the only ones that are MADE for a ZJ and therefore the only ones that look halfways nice. Lift a rig just so you can brag about how high it is,is just plain dumb,also the higher you go the more tipping you become. the only point of a lift is to clear larger tires to raise your axles up for more ground clearance. Alift alone does not get you more Ground clearance. Smaller lift+ bigger tires= less tippy etc.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
the name of the game is biggest tires and lowest center of gravity.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just want to chime in on the Kennesaw bumpers, installed a front bumper for a friend - what a joke. While it is pretty stout once it's installed you can't remove it without cutting it off!!! WELDING IS REQUIRED!!! Never mentioned any welding on the website and over the course of about a dozen conversations with them it was never brought up. The grille also had to be extensively cut to clear the bumper. The icing on the cake, the bumper was not fabbed correctly - the pass side stuck out about 1" further than the driver side and due to the bracket design it is not able to be adjusted side to side. When contacted about the fit issue Kennesaw said "Hey these things are built by hand" and made absolutely NO effort to try and make things right. I was told that there is nothing they are willing to do and tough cookies, better luck next time. I understand mfg variances but that kind of customer service is inexcusable. The price is good but you could buy your own steel for that price and build a bumper that actually fits. Well that's my 2 pennies.

·
Registered
522 Posts
KOR! Great quality & Solid! Superior customer service! .....powder coating not included...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just puchased the Iceland offroads flairs and bumper .Have not installed them yet.They are top quality. Don't be scared of the fiberglass.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
jeepbus1 said:
I just puchased the Iceland offroads flairs and bumper .Have not installed them yet.They are top quality. Don't be scared of the fiberglass.
Let us know how they work out for you, especially when you hit something, but really i wanna know how well they will hold up

·
Registered
1 Posts
From the web it sounds like some pretty thick fiberglass, and if not a layer of coremat on the back could help stiffen 'em up. Definitely don't think they would hold up to crawling but for lighter applications where streetability and appearance are kept in mind they seem perfect. Personally at 13-15 mpg I'm not looking to add weight where I don't need it. Plus any damage can easily be repaired with more fiber and filler. I think that if Composites are good enough for the aviation industry I can take my chances with a bumper. I would be more worried about the flimsy brackets.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just bought the wide track kennesaw mountain front bumper its pretty badass and more inforced than my old ARB

·
Registered
6,896 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
My bad!..

·
Registered
101 Posts
I like the looks of Kevins rear bumper but I have 3 ?'s about it.
1 where/how to mount the license plate?

2. is the tire holder solid? ie. wont bounce around and make noise, but will my small frame wife beable to open it up?

3. Can you mount it with the factory tow package still on there?

allen

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
zjdriver said:
I like the looks of Kevins rear bumper but I have 3 ?'s about it.
1 where/how to mount the license plate?

2. is the tire holder solid? ie. wont bounce around and make noise, but will my small frame wife beable to open it up?

3. Can you mount it with the factory tow package still on there?

allen

1-idk i dont have one, but i'm getting one soon and i think it might come with a place to bolt it onto the carrier (see picture)

2- it is super solid, you can lift the whole weight of the jeep by the tire carrier...look at picture on KOR's website, and depends on the size of the tire the difficulty to open it...but it shouldn't be a problem at all a kid like 5 years old should be able to open a tire carrier

3- the bumper can have a hitch built into it, i'd have to look it up but i think it comes with a hitch built in- but it might be an optional thing.

·
Registered
101 Posts
my ? is I have the factory tow hitch already on I am sure the bumper is stout but it probably doesn't have wieght rating that the hitch has. so I would like to keep the factory hitch.

allen

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
the bumper is going to be just as strong if not stronger to pull on because it will have a more stout mounting bracketry than a stock hitch

·
Registered
101 Posts
so if: god forbid I was towing with it and something broke and I lost the tow and caused damage to someone elses rig I couldn't be sued for not using proper towing equipment.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
the best thing to would be to shoot kevin a email or call them and ask...but i'd just tow a little and work up and check the bolts as you get heavier until you reach the maximum that you'd use with a hitch.

BUT, that bumper can handle pulling someone out of being stuck in mud...lord knows the yank power that is behind a pull for that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
So I E-mailed KOR. They say that they have customers that have installed the bumper on a jeep with a towing hitch already on. I think I am sold on this bumper, since Hanson stopped making theirs (what a shame I really liked the look of that one), the other option is to wait for Custom4x4 to finish thiers. But I think I am sold on the KOR with the positive comments about theis bumper on this board.

Rockzj: you gotta throw up some pics of yours when you get it.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts