Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to add front towhooks to my 93 ZJ. Anyone make a kit for this. Anybody have some used ones to sell?
Finnaly got some snow here in Kansas, 12 inches yesterday. Having fun playing it it with the jeep. Had to blast though a waist high drift just to get up my driveway. Would be nice to have some hooks if I do manage to get stuck.

AR

·
Registered
35 Posts
Either get some out of a wrecking yard or go to Rusty's Offroad. They make a custom bracket to allow installation on the Grand. Their link is on the Grand Links page here on the NAGCA site.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just go to jparts.com and order the original set of two, including mounting brackets, for $82.00.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No salvage yards in my area that have any ZJs in them. Live in a rural area and most salvage yards don't have many suv's in em. Have to drive 3 hours to get to one that would. I would be out there getting stuff all the time if I could.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Go to rusty's offroad. I bought their towhooks and they are great. Maybe not as good as stock (no inner brace) but its pedantic and you could waste alot of time finding some old brackets or just have em shipped UPS from Rusty.

-G.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Rusty's kit with run you $112 to the door.

Just installed mine this w/e...good solid stuff :)

97 V8 TSi; 30" BFG M/T KM's; Full mopar skids; Rock-it diff guards; ORGS Supernerf's; Flowmaster 50; K&N FIPK; Rancho RS5000 S/S; 2T come-along & straps; Class 3 hitch; Rusty's tow hooks; JB 231HD waiting for RK 7" kit.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RufftyTuffty on 2002-02-04 19:32 ]</font>

·
Registered
246 Posts
If you hve time go to a junk yard and see what they have, I got 2 sets for 50.00 and a full skid [all 3] for 60.00 bucks.

·
Registered
209 Posts
On 2002-02-01 14:17, LarsWJ wrote:
Just go to jparts.com and order the original set of two, including mounting brackets, for $82.00.
I believe that those are only for the WJ, the ZJ hooks are more scarce.

Chris

·
Registered
102 Posts
jparts.com had them for sale last week for the 93- tow hooks. I checked them yesterday and they no longer have them on the web site?? This does suck!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just installed my kit from Rusty's this week. The kit was good and the installation was quick on my '93ZJ. Directions obtained from [email protected] were excellent and are below for your consideration ... I followed them to the T and the installation was smooth.

- binski

Tow Hook & Bracket Install on 98 ZJ (Grand Cherokee)

Tools and Parts

By basing the install on the equipment provided for you in Rusty's Off-road install kit, here is what you need for the install:

1.) Two, 5/8" wrenches (must have one open end). You can substitute one, 5/8" wrench for a 5/8" ratchet/socket combo.
2.) pliers
3.) Two, 3/4" wrenches (must have one open end). You can substitute one, 3/4" wrench for a 3/4" ratchet socket combo.
4.) Tow hook brackets (MUST HAVE) and tow hooks (MUST HAVE). You can get these in one big package with all of the bolts necessary from Rusty's Off-road
5.) Phillips screwdriver of medium size.

Not necessary, but nice:
1.) Drill with one 1/4" - 3/8" bit
2.) 13mm deep wall socket with 2" (or greater) extension and a ratchet. (Makes install a LOT easier if you remove the horns seen in a picture later. These parts will get it out of the way for you, if you don't have the parts, this might be a good time to go buy them, install will be a major PITA without them).
3.) Very long and fat standard screwdriver (for disconnecting the bumper cover connectors beneath the turn signals, makes it MUCH easier)

Bumper removal

1.) Open the hood of your jeep and grab your phillips screwdriver, you want to remove the grill first. Unscrew the two screws going into the grill from the top and the two screws going into the grill from the front. Now just grab the grill and it should slide smoothly out of place.

2.) Now you should see the top of the bumper with 3 plastic fasteners holding them in place. Grab the top most piece of the plastic fastener with pliers and it should slide out. If the bottom piece did not slide out with the top piece, then grab it now and slide it out. Remove all 3 fasteners. Keep these fasteners, they are reusable and I can not guarantee that you will find a hardware store to supply you with them. If you break them, you should possibly try a jeep dealership.

3.) Now get your drill ready to go with the drill bit of your choice, preferrably between 1/4" and 3/8". You need to drill out the 3 fasteners inside each wheel well that hold the inner fender liner to the bumper cover. After you drill them out the fasteners should be much easier to remove. Now grab a pair of pliers and pull what remains out. These are disposable, so after the install you can just go to a hardware store and buy some new ones. If you do not have a drill you may be able to just grab a hold and pull the fasteners out. I had a drill so I did not experiment.

4.) Next you must remove the 3 lower bumper fasteners which are the same as the upper bumper fasteners, only bigger. Remove all 3 and save them.

5.) The 5th step is the hardest, but if you read the directions carefully and use your common sense, it shouldn't take you long at all. First take the inner fender liner and pull out from the inside of the bumper cover and bend it back towards the wheel so that you can slide you arm inbetween the fender liner and the bumper cover (as shown in photo below). Now take your long fat standard screwdriver and insert it as shown in the photo below. You need the screwdriver to touch the lip of the bumper cover right where the bumper cover is attached via the hook type fastener (seen in photo below with bumper cover missing). If you push toward the front of the jeep, the bumper cover should rise to the bottom of the blinker. when the bumper cover reaches it's highest point, hit the front of the bumper cover towards the back of the jeep while maintaing forward pressure on the screwdriver.The bumper cover should pop over the fastener and you will see the bumper cover is very east to remove now. Repeat this process for the other side and the bumper will fall completely off. Throw it to the side, you are ready to install the tow brackets. The last image in this section is what your jeep will look like without the bumper cover.

6.) Now you must install the tow hook brackets. This is where your 5/8" wrenchs or ratchet/wrench combo will be used. Under the passenger side you will see where the horns are located (as in picture). Using a 13mm socket and ratchet, remove the one screw (area circled in picture) between the horns that holds the apparatus in place and stick that off to the side.Put the bracket in place as shown in picture below. Insert the four, 7/16" bolts through the bracket and into the center of the frame rail. Grab the nuts provided by Rusty's with your pliers so you can hold the nuts in place as you hold them down the frame rail so you can thread the bolts into them. Once you get all four bolts threaded, insert two more 7/16" bolts into the front two holes in the bracket and through the metal piece on your jeep. (If the bolt will not fit through the metal piece on your jeep then use your big fat standard screw driver and insert it into the hole and work it back and forth to widen the hole. You could also drill the hole a bit bigger, by using a 7/16" or maybe 1/2" drill bit. I just worked it a bit bigger with the screwdriver). Once you get the bolts through, thread the nuts on. Now do the other side. When you have both sides fully completed, Rusty's says you need to torque all twelve, 7/16" bolts you just installed to 55 ft-lb as set forth in the instruction sheet provided they provide.

7.) Once your brackets are on and tightened to spec, you are ready to install the tow hooks. The bolts rusty's provide you with are about 1/2" too long. They hit the frame rail just a bit and will bend it a little. This is why I had you install these last. If you had done it before you put the brackets on then you would not have been able to get the brackets in place because the bolts would be hitting the frame rail. Install the bolts as pictured below, and above. Rustys says to torque these bolts to 65 ft-lbs.

8.) Recheck to make sure ALL bolts are tightened to spec. If they are then you may proceed to put the bumper cover back on. Once you reinstall the upper bumper fasteners, lower bumper fasteners you may reinstall the grill. Now put the inner fender liner back on the inside of the bumper cover, go to the hardware store and get replacement fasteners for the only fasteners you have not yet replaced. Once you install those fasteners, you are done. This whole process took me nearly 3 hours by myself, I hope my installation instructions will help you do it in the time i know it would now take me (1-1.5 hours).

Please e-mail any comments or suggestions, good or bad to me, [email protected]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rusty's hooks work fine for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts