Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone add another battery to their ZJ, I have a 96 5.2L and would like to put a second battery in for winch and lights, but I don't know where to fit it in. The only way I see to do it would be to change the air intake somehow.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have thought about the same thing and have come up with this so far. Get a Turbo City dual K&N cone filter for the Grand (not the fresh air type) and then go the dealer and order the right hand drive Grand battery tray assembly. Visit your local NAPA or etc and get 2 lengths of 6-8' 2 guage marine grade wire with the eyelet terminals solder on (one black one red) and 4 marine top post battery terminals. Next get two 1000 cranking amp Interstate Megatron Plus batteries and run the winch/lights off the second battery. I have done this exact set up on my 89 XJ. Just verify with the dealer that the right hand drive Grand does indeed have the battery tray on the drivers side. As for NAPA, I have the wharehouse near my shop and they custom make battery cables etc. I choose marine grade wire as it is a lot more flexable and is oil resistant as well as can withstand higher outside heat. I also use Interstate because in my professional opinion they are the best battery out there unless you pop for the really expensive OPTIMA's. Take plenty of pics when you are done!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! How does that Turbo City dual K&N cone filter fit on the jeep, will it just run beside the battery or is it a whole new route. I've been wanting to get the K&N FIPK, but I know that won't work with another battery, I've got to figure out which one I want more. Thanks again.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have only seen pics of it in the paper 4x4 mags in the ads for Turbo City but it appears to use a stock throttle body cover with two short (12") horns coming of it and two cone filters on that.

G

·
On 2002-04-04 22:20, SKEETER wrote:
... I also use Interstate because in my professional opinion they are the best battery out there unless you pop for the really expensive OPTIMA's. Take plenty of pics when you are done!
SKEETER, good info on the dual setup. I've seen others use two small optimas sideways in the standard location. Cost vs. space I suppose.

BTW, Interstate and Optima are made by the same company: Johnson Controls. Johnson makes the batteries for Sears, Walmart, Costco, and many others including parts store chains. In the end what's important is:

1) Type: Posts, physical package, sealed or not, maintenance free or not, deep cycle, etc.
2) CCA: Enough juice for the needs.
3) Warranty: Duration & pro rating details.
4) Price

The rest is marketing. Narrow down the first three and buy on the fourth.

-Dave

·
Registered
290 Posts
Skeeter.....I've got an interstate under the hood...When I go to the Boonies I tie down a "red top" behind the rear seat but not connected....You must be smart because you figured out what I thought was the Best batts....hehe...Don S..

·
Registered
234 Posts
Wax, not sure how smart I am but I know that I don't like doing a job twice!

el s, The last I knew Sears gold line was interstate but the silver line was Exide. I have also seen Optima looking batteries with the interstate logo on them. Hell, even my interstate battery book shows optima's in the application book not rebranded. As far as the batteries that I used, 1 was 1000 CA, 850 CCA and the other was 850 CA, 675 ish CC. Since I owned a shop and stocked them, it cost me around $100 for the pair.

G

·
Quite possible. I could see someone the size of Sears switching suppliers. They sell a few of these things; enough to benefit from multi-sourcing. Johnson does own Interstate, and Optima since late 2000. Exide is huge too though. They supply for NAPA, K-Mart, Pep Boys, Canadian Tire, etc. Probably some healthy profit motive for getting the two into bidding wars.

Just another white mouse in the big marketing experiment,
-Dave

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'd like to interject my experience with dual batteries in boats - making a bank of two batteries for to try and accomplish both a deep cycle application and starting will only result in you destroying two batteries.

1) Get one battery for starting/running the vehicle
2) Get a deep cycle for running your winch
3) Use a battery _COMBINER_ to charge your winch battery.

see: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=201&prrfnbr=7470&outlet=

and

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/co...r.d2w/show_advisor?fn=464-465.htm&store_num=9

I can elaborate more if necessary.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Diesel pickups don't use a combiner do they? Boats would be different because if you have a battery drain you don't want both batteries drained since you life could be at risk. I had a friend of mine hang onto a bell bouy at the enterance of a large river as the tide tried to carry him out to sea because he had a drain and didn't isolate the batteries... but is it really needed in a auto? This type of application is not my speciality but those I have talked too said it can't hurt but didn't really need one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Diesels don't use a combiner because they only have one application - starting, so they have one bank of two batteries. When you have two applications you need two banks (a bank can be one or more batteries)

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
can a moderator sticky this? i just dug it up and its pretty informative, and its alot different information than the usual questions

1 - 13 of 13 Posts