Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'97 ZJ, 3" Tera, 31's, 40k miles. ABS light came on. Had to get fuel tank sender replaced so the dealer diagnoised the ABS system. Says the controller is shot and for $800.00 clams he could fix it (just so happens he's got one in stock!). Factory service manuel says brakes function normally when ABS is out (a.k.a. no anti-lock). Thats o.k. with me since off-road abs sucks and I'm planning on swaping out that junk alum. 44 in the rear anyway. Could it be something besides the controller? Is everyone swapping axles junking their ABS? Any thoughts?

p.s. There's a 5 amp fuse you can pull to turn off that annoying ABS light on the dash.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
That fuse won't turn off that light. Nothing short of pulling the dash apart to pull the bulb will get that light.

The light will come on for any malfunction whatsoever - even dirt in between the sensor and the tone ring. Or one of the sensor wires getting pinched, etc.

Ive completely removed my ABS, HCU, sensors, computer and all. I hated the stuff myself.

Jay

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hate to tell you but it did turn the light off. Thanks for the info though. I don't feel so bad about canning the whole system.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Wow, cool. Maybe it's something they changed in later model years. My '95 comes on even though I have the DRL/IP module unplugged!

Jay

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya, more than likely the've changed something between model years. I need to correct myself. It's a 10 amp fuse in the passenger side lower kick panel. If you're looking at the block it's on the top row second from the rear. Be careful and look closely because there is a row of fuses kind of hiding behind the plastic kick panel. Pull the fuse and the (ABS) dash light is out. Looking at the service manual I believe thats the only thing that fuse protects. I've been driving around like this for two months and no problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts