Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today on my way home from a short trip to the store my Grand dash light up “Check your gauges”. I looked and the temperature gauge was almost to 260. It was very cool out, about 60 so I put on the heater full blast and finished my way home. The temp dropped to about ¾ gauge. Still too hot for comfort but drivable. I pulled into my garage and popped the hood. The reservoir was full. I felt near the Radiator cap and it was cool. I even touched it and it couldn’t have been even 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
What do you think it is? The water pump? The thermostat? The gauge. Though I would doubt this the gauge unless there is history of it.
Any good diagnostic ideas?
Greg

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hi Greg...It was probley sticking thermosat in the closed position for a short time. However IF you can put your hand on the cap soon after shut-down the temp. is probley below 165 degs. I think in most new cars the AUX. elec. fan turns on when you use the A/C.....Also the A/C IS turned on(even with heat on) when you use the drf./heater. This means (in some cases) more cooling to the radiator core. My '99 V-8 has the AUX.elec. fan......Good luck......Don S..

·
Registered
116 Posts
It could be the thermostat I would have that looked at first. Second do you have any after market bumpers? I know that some people with ARB's have had overheating problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts