Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 97 gc 4.0 with around 250k on the clock i've checked oil levels and they're where they should be the ticking noise is only noticeable before the car has a chance to warm up and when under hard acceleration I'd like to figure out if one of these three things is possible.1. Is it an exhaust manifold crack or 2.Is it a valve/lifter problem. or 3. is it something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
If only we could teleport there and listen to it and tell you....post a video so it will help us to help you.

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
My 4.0 had lifter chatter from 100k miles on before it warmed up, never really bothered me and never did anything about it.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
The first question I'd ask is what oil are you using? Most Jeeps don't deal well with full synthetics. For instance my WJ will chatter with full synthetic and not chatter with semi-synthetic, being half synthetic and half dino-oil. Also what weight oil are you using?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
cracked manifolds are very common on these. crawl under it and look up there with a flashlight to see if thats it. i removed mine and paid a guy $20 to lay a nice weld around it, and 80,000 miles later its still doing great.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
cracked manifolds are very common on these. crawl under it and look up there with a flashlight to see if thats it. i removed mine and paid a guy $20 to lay a nice weld around it, and 80,000 miles later its still doing great.
I had the same thing done almost 6 years ago and it is still holding up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts