Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 Grand Cherokee V8 w Quadra Trac. The display on the dash which always showed 4 wheels lit up only showed the 2 rears lit up. Had the 4wd switch changed (2nd time) and still only the 2 rear wheels are lit in the display. What's wrong? How do you tell if the 4wd is working or not? How to test it. HELP! Thanks.

·
Registered
290 Posts
HI JDELG I'm not a guru and some one else hopefully will help...Were it mine I'd Park on a driveway with a slight incline and have the cars nose up and block behind the rear of the FRONT wheels. Then, using a ROLLER JACK, jack the rear wheels just off the pavement. Tightly chain your car(at the rear) to another truck or pole. Carefully push the go petal. You'll feel the front trying to pull...If they put my PICs in grand photo you'll see another odd test I dreamed up. People may laugh but it earned me a free new D-44. DO NOT jack the diff. Pumkin of a ....WJ....Use two jacks........GL..Don S aka ..wax..

·
Registered
605 Posts
That is crazy! without any work put it into 4lo then turn the steering wheel a little and hit the long skinny pedle just to get rolling. The front will bind a little then you know the front is engaging to test the awd jack the frnt and rear up onto jackstands start it up and put it in gear. front and rear tires turn you are ok.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Cherokee Kid...You are right......to a point. If da wheel squeals it's "pulling". I've had a case that the wheels would go but, due to a slipping chutch in the transfer-case, the wheels did NOT squeal........If jeeps don't drive us crazzzy what will? ? ? ....... seethe PICs if you can..............thanks....Don S..

·
Registered
13 Posts
I gotta ask. My 95 ZJ Limited has a similar problem. It's bone-stock except for 235/75/15 Yok Geolandar AT+ tires, PolyUrethane suspension bushings all the way around, KYB shocks. I'm in our first Icelandic winter and I get my grand stuck in a 2 ft snow drift (coulda been high-centered). The left-rear tire was the only one moving and it was spinning like a sonnovabitch. Tried in 4High and 4Low (only options) to no avail. waited 2 hours for somebody to come by and tug me out. Questions are:
1) Is there something wrong with my Jeep? (First time in deep snow since we bought it last year)

2) What inexpensive locker/posi should I get for the rear (what axle do I have)?

As far as I know, the Jeep is 100% factory except for the mods I mentioned above. I was under the impression that in 4Low, the center diff (transfer case) locked and at the very least the left/rear and the right/front tires SHOULD have been spinning. Am I wrong?

Help please?

·
Registered
290 Posts
erik_hans...I know very little about ZJs but its sounds like 4 low didn't engage the front axle. The engagment system may have been to cold(like a lot of Chevys)..or not working when you got it.......hopefully some cold land folks will help ...Don S..

·
Registered
13 Posts
OK, I answered my own question partly. There isn't a darnn thing wrong with my front axle driveline. I just checked it out on a 30deg incline in 2inches of slush. I set the parking brake hard and put it in 4low. I DRAGGED the ass-end all for about 6 feet up the hill with the front wheels only! darnn that was cool. Now I only need the rear locker and I'm cool.

·
Registered
414 Posts
If you're in the land of mostly crudpy roads, I would recommend that you pony up the extra $$$ for an ARB or OX. Reason being, in icy roads, an open diff will grab the road better, if one wheel starts to slip/spin in a turn, the other 'dead wheel acts kind of like a rudder, and helps you keep control.

I have full lockers front and rear, and in off camber mud, snow, anything slick, I do an instant 4 wheel drift towards a spendy repair bill. My next lockers will be selectable when I put the 8.8 and D44 in. I may just cheat and Lock-right the front and flip a hub if I need to.

M.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 96ZJ V8 with the 249 T-case (quadra-tract). I'm not sure how many other cases are the same but for those with the 249, keep in mind that the Jeep is actually suppose to just be moving (not above 4mph) when shifting to 4-Lo. At least that is what I was told an read. If someone does not feel this is correct, please let me know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts