Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father bought a 96 grand cherokee limited about 4 years ago. 4.0 I6 with 27,000 miles. When he bought it the engine was noisy. It has a loose "rattle" sound in the lower end. Now at 87,000 miles, the jeep sounds like a diesel truck. It has a very loud lower end rattle. There is NOT a knock, it has not spun a bearing, but it just sounds loose. He maintains the Jeep well. We do all the work our selves. Oil every 3000, just put on new break pads and shoes, front discs replaced under recall. The Jeep has an all new ehxahst system, including the Cat that was relpaced under recall.
Is this loose "rattle" sound a common problem? What should we do to fix this? main bearings, rod bearings, ect.?

My father has an 87 wrangler he bought about 7 years ago. we re-built the engine, put in a new tranny, t-case, all steering linkage, and more. he loves that Jeep, so he bought this Grand Gherokee. He likes the Cherokee, but wants to get rid of this engine noise.

We appreiciate any advice you can give us.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My '96 I6 with 126K miles has always done it. Sort of a "diesel" sound. A somewhat knowledgeable dealer once told me it's a "flaw in the block." "Piston slap" sounds a little better, but I've had no problems. Sometimes it does it louder than others.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 93 has always sounded like that to. Runs great, uses no oil, but has always rattled. Seems like every one of them I have been around does it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ditto. Deisel sound on mine, too. Got 108k on it now and no probs..George

E

·
0 Posts
Bet mine's louder than yours. :)

The casting molds were used too long and aged poorly. They were finally re-done in '99 for the WJ. All GC (possibly Wrangler, too, dunno) 4.0L's before '99 had huge variances in cylinder bore which results in the wonderful RiverDance rhythm we enjoy. Seems to have been aggravated by factory and service techs bottomembling or fixing with pistons in the wrong order. They're very different, to better match the bores. A dealer wrench buddy said he's seen some bottomembled with several of the smaller pistons in the wrong cylinders, possibly because that's what was left over. Sounds like a plausible Jeep thing to me. Some people use a grade heavier oil or additives to cushion the slap. I just call it my tractor motor and hope it makes 200K. (152K now)

-Dave

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: el stupido on 2002-02-26 22:04 ]</font>

E

·
0 Posts
Um, clay. Try to use the word a*s*s*embled in a post. :) ROFL

Thought my typing accuracy was getting pretty bad there for a minute. :D

-Dave

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Sometimes the bad word sensor works too good. :laugh:

After all we do want this to be a FFF (Family Friendly Forum);)

Thanks

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ccissell on 2002-02-26 22:28 ]</font>

·
Registered
5 Posts
My dad had a 93 grand, it sounded just like a diesel. We took it to a friend that owns a repair shop. They found that it had the wrong size pistons. The new pistons fixed the noise problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts