Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 Limited with the 5.2 engine and A/T OD trans. 46RH????? It has the push button to shut off the overdrive and has the viscous coupling AWD 249 transfer case. I have a whining bearing type noise that usually starts at about 25mph and up. It is speed related. I thought it was carrier bearing or something which I may still have problems with, but this is a new noise. I did recently try some things and this is what happened......When driving along at any speed that it is making the noise I put the transmission in neutral and within a second the noise goes away. So it seems to relate to the trans. Now tonite I drove it when it was making the noise at around 40mph and I turned the OD off by pushing the button and the noise goes away within a second. When I hit the button to turn the OD back on the sound comes back. Its just a whining bearing type noise. It does not change with the shifting of the trans so if it is in the trans I assume its at the back end. Any suggestions? I recently lost my job so I dont want to swap a trans if at all possible. The trans shifts and acts great otherwise. Is there an OD unit that unbolts from the back of the trans that has a bearing in that could be bad? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Whining is from my experience usually due to the rear axle. Bearing going out or gears meshing a bit weird. Take a look at your rear differential fluid and let us know what it looks like. Might as well let us know what your trany fluid looks and smells like while your at it. If its dirty change the fluid...but dont worry a bit of whining. That still means that you have life in whatever is failing so dont go out spending money on diagnosing a whine. Please report back on what you find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not believe it is differential noise. It doesnt start until the vehicle warms up a bit driving and its my understanding that the trans has to reach a certain temperature before OD is enabled. It seems to me that the noise starts when it must have reached this temp. Also, as I stated before, as soon as I turn the OD off by the button the noise goes away. A differential noise would not change like that while driving at a set speed. When I turn the OD back on by the button the noise comes right back. I just cant believe it would be a differential with those characteristics. Differential should not be affected by the OD status.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts