Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 94 GC (4wd) makes a clicking noise in the front only when turning in either direction and all the time (accelerating or not). The noise gets louder the more into the turn I get. It stops if the turning of the wheel is slight e.g. changing lanes. There is no noise going straight.

What could this be? Is there a good procedure for DIY?

Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
3 Posts
this could be your u-joints, make sure the is gear lube in the differental. Also try to grease the U_joints by finger or by gun. this may end your problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked at it this morning and I don't see u-joints. I do see CV joints and both boots are toast. Can I just replace the boots and it will stop or will I have to replace the whole cv axle. Sorry about the simple question, I have a YJ and a TJ, this is my first ZJ and I have never had this particular problem before.

Thanks.

oh BTW, do you know of a good DIY way (I rather not buy the manual).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the exact same problem. I had to replace the whole CV joint and the half shafts. It all depends on how long the boots have been torn. You may get lucky and only have to replace the boot but I would let a mechanic take a look ASAP.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes! Get to a dealer asap! Once a CV boot gets torn, the grease leaves for greener pastures and the CV joint starts grinding metal-metal. The sooner you get the CV rebuilt (boot, grease, cleaned, insp), the least likely you'll need to replace the joint and half-shaft. I've rebuilt CV joints before, they're not fun and require some specialized shop tools to get them back together right. Just make sure you go to a shop you trust because if they suspect you don't know anything, they'll try to rip you off. CV joints fall into the 'voodoo' realm of auto mechanics. Some know how to fix them and will do that (labor intesive/cheaper) others don't know and will just replace them (easier but EXPENSIVE). Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts