Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I honestly thought this would be an easy topic to find, but really couldn't find the answers I was looking for. So, here are my q's:

I have an opportunity to buy a 5.9 from a 93 GC (did they put a 5.9 in 93's?) for $500 on craigslist...here is the link http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/1859360010.html

It will be going into a 94 with a 5.2

My questions are, will it bolt right up to my 46rh tranny, and other than the computer what else will I need to do the swap and have the full 5.9 potential?? Is it more of a headache than its worth? My motor is on its last leg, and probably won't last much longer. I need to do something soon cause I have a moab trip coming up mid September. Would it just be smarter to pull mine and do a full rebuild vs. buying the 5.9 and doing the top end on it before putting it in??

·
Registered
197 Posts
5.9 only came in the 98-

i have done the swap to 5.9- and i'll tell you this. i wouldn't even attempt it unless you have the entire donor vehicle to draw from. you need everything from the motor mounts to the whole electrical underhood harness. ecm- bcm- extra circuit for the cooling fan-................ i could go on for a while here-

besides- you want all the cool stuff that makes a 5.9 what it is. leather on the door panels, shifters, and center console. the hood and grille that are unique to the 5.9 limited. the fold down armrest in the center of the back seat. the soundbar. again.......... i could go on for a while here-

i'm not totally knocking the idea of putting a 5.9 engine in place of a 5.2- i just don't know if there'd be that huge of a difference. to me, the difference is the luxury aspects of the 5.9 edition- and the fact that it moves like a scalded dog is a just a bonus.

now as to can the 5.9 run in place of a 5.2? i say probably so- it has been done. there's members here who have done it. there is no how-to as far as i know. i had my jeep on craigslist for awhile before i decided to keep it- and i got a dozen replies wanting me to give them a how-to on engine swapping. i decided then to keep it and i may write a 4.0 to 5.9 how-to, publish, and sell them. jeep didn't sell but i could sell those easily!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yeah 5.9L only came in the 1998 5.9 Limited.

As far as the 5.2L to 5.9L swap, DO IT, WELL WORTH IT. You will need a 5.9L flexplate and harmonic balancer. You can get buy using the 5.2L motor mounts by using washers on the drivers side. As far as harness use your 5.2L harness, just swap whatever you need from your 5.2L to the 5.9L like sensors, if they are differant on the 5.9L. You will need a 5.9L PCM,probably would want to get the Mopar Performance PCM.

I swapped my 5.2L to a New 5.9L short block from Jeep. I have a 1998 OBD11 so all I had to do as far as PCM was to buy the SCT handheld tuner. Sean Powell put 3 custom tunes on it and my 5.9L really came alive. I get a little more MPG than my 5.2L ever got, just as long as I dont floor the gas often, normal driving is better MPG. I have Hughes Engines Iron Ram heads and a mild cam with the SCT tunes and it runs like a champ alot of power.

You can find alot of info about 5.2L to 5.9L swap on Jeep Forum. I never did have any luck using the search on NAGCA. Good Luck

·
Registered
197 Posts
he would have to have a 96-98 for obdII reprogram. starting with a 94 might be more of a problem i think-

·
Registered
146 Posts
he would have to have a 96-98 for obdII reprogram. starting with a 94 might be more of a problem i think-
Yeah I know, thats why I said he will need the 5.9L PCM or the Mopar Performance 5.9L PCM.

Mine being a 1998 OBD11 I did not have to get a 5.9L PCM. I just got the SCT handheld tuner and reflashed my 5.2L Factory PCM.

Jeep forum have several people that have done and are doing the 5.2L to 5.9L swap in OBD1 ZJ's here is a link http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/swapping-my-5-2-v8-5-9-v8-please-help-737762/

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well guys,

After reading all your replies, and searching every link I could find on every forum I could find about the topic, I have decide to just stay with my current motor. I will be parking her soon and doing a top end rebuild. I know for sure I have a blown head gasket or a warped head. Confirmed today with a block tester. Thanks for your help!!! :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
The 5.2L and 5.9L magnum heads are prone to cracking,usually between the intake and exhaust valves because they do not have hardened seats in them. I attached a pic of my 5.2L cracked head. Thats why I bought a set of Hughes Engines Iron Ram heads, they have hardened seats and flow more than the R/T heads. Here is a link to them http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...aW5kZXIgSGVhZHM=&level2=SXJvbg==&partid=25701

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I will post back with pictures of what I find after I tear it down. I almost guarantee I'll find a cracked head based on how many times this damn thing has been in the red on the temp gauge. Thanks for the pics, and I'll keep ya'll posted.

Just wanted to throw this in. Happened a couple weeks ago pulling a small hill outside of town on the highway. Happened too fast for me to even get it pulled over and shut down. Just hit red and blew.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah 5.9L only came in the 1998 5.9 Limited.

As far as the 5.2L to 5.9L swap, DO IT, WELL WORTH IT. You will need a 5.9L flexplate and harmonic balancer. You can get buy using the 5.2L motor mounts by using washers on the drivers side. As far as harness use your 5.2L harness, just swap whatever you need from your 5.2L to the 5.9L like sensors, if they are differant on the 5.9L. You will need a 5.9L PCM,probably would want to get the Mopar Performance PCM.

I swapped my 5.2L to a New 5.9L short block from Jeep. I have a 1998 OBD11 so all I had to do as far as PCM was to buy the SCT handheld tuner. Sean Powell put 3 custom tunes on it and my 5.9L really came alive. I get a little more MPG than my 5.2L ever got, just as long as I dont floor the gas often, normal driving is better MPG. I have Hughes Engines Iron Ram heads and a mild cam with the SCT tunes and it runs like a champ alot of power.

You can find alot of info about 5.2L to 5.9L swap on Jeep Forum. I never did have any luck using the search on NAGCA. Good Luck
Would it work to put a 98 5.9 in a 95 5.2 cause mine doesn’t come with an OBD2 stock

·
Registered
1 Posts
So there's a website where you can order a 5.9 for a 1994 im assuming its for a dodge ram but i was wondering how it would work because it would probably be OBD l not OBD ll

I would appreciate some answers because my 5.2 is severely out of time and im swapping it out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts