Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm real frustrated because the fuel filter on my 97 zj seems to be missing! It's not in the back on the driver's side where it's supposed to be. I'm the second owner, so I thought maybe it was relocated, but I've followed the fuel lines with no luck. Some lube shop told me the filter is in the tank, but I know it's not. Anyone had this missing filter problem? everything in that area looks factory and not like it's been messed with. any ideas before I add one where it's supposed to be? there is no bracket or anything back there.

E

·
0 Posts
Yep, it's in the tank. Might not be a bad idea to add an external version. Don't know if the in-tank version is coarse or fine. This has been discussed on JU though I didn't pay attention; mine's older and has a normal external filter.

-Dave

·
Registered
484 Posts
Nope, Dave's right, it is in the tank. I have a 98 and have been contimplating adding an external. The one in the tank is basically a screen, so it doesn't filter very fine. Haven't looked closely enough at it to figure out where to mount one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys. so do you have to replace it? how often? I bet it's a pain huh? that's strange that they did it that way, not very accessible.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Guys -

When my '97 was only about 4 months old, I had the fuel sending unit fail out on the highway. The dealer I was towed in to dropped the tank to replace it, and showed me the filter "sock". I don't what particle size it filters to, but it is a fairly small size (I'm thinking they said it was about 10 microns, but can't recall for sure). Adding an external one has been on my "to do" list, but keeps getting shoved down to the bottom. If you do cut into the fuel line to add one, make sure you de-pressurize the line, or you'll have a real mess.

gary

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ive been wondering if the filter in the tank is causing my problems when I get down to a 1/4 tank. My rig acts like it is running out of gas as I corner. Looks like it is time to drop the tank when the weather gets good.

Although I have heard that when this happens it is a problem with the fuel pump. :crazy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts