Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all,

One of the GC that I am looking at seems to have a shifting problem. I can shift the selector into the other range, but it doesn't seem to want to engage. What would be some of the common things to look for? I looked at the linkage and all seems good with that. But that's about as far as I am capable of looking at. I don't know for sure if it's vacuum actuated, or if it would be something inside of the tc. I am going to be having a second look at the vehicle on 01 April, so any help before that time would be great. If it's something too technical or costly, I may just move on to the other GC. That one the current owner says it all works, but it has a blown 4.0 engine. So that's been a fun expedition to source a decent used motor lol.

Thanks in advance.
WT

My apologies, I made this post in the wrong section. Could a mod please move. The forum won't allow me to delete this post and repost it in the correct forum.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You didn't specify anything about this Jeep...There are different procedures for different years and transfer cases. If the manual is in the vehicle, read it for how to shift into 4wd and make sure your following the procedure.
I know it sounds condescending, but that's honestly usually the first thing that people do wrong. Some vehicles need to be in neutral, some need to be rolling slowly, some need to be in park...etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good morning, thanks for the response. We had tried it everyway that we could think of and still had no luck. I know that some have a specific way to shift (with my ram I can do it rolling) and on a company chev truck I was able to do the shift in either drive or stopped in neutral. It's just got us both in a mystery I guess. I will most likely move on to the other one and see it again. The guy for this one was or seemed shady and not really upfront with some of the questions I had asked. Rather simple ones that shouldn't be hard to answer kinds.

Anyways, thanks for the reply
WT

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up walking away from it. Closer inspection of other components deemed it to be not worth the time nor money to get it fully working again. Thanks for all the input guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts