Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the difference between a 44re and a 46 re? will the 46 bolt up to a 97 5.2 GC?

Just wondering. I need a transmission that will hold up and not crapp out everytime I go down to the pit for BAJA.

I need a transmission that will NOT SLIP and torque converters that will not stop working all of a sudden in the middle of the desert. and transmissions that will be neutral in every gear..

I have had about 6 Rebuilds and they have all failed. I just bought a brand new 44 and it is starting to slip AGAIN after I pitted for the BAJA 1000 I have an auxillary tranny cooler that the guys from the trany shop installed.

Can anyone help? does anyone know anyone that rebuilds transmissions in the San Diego area??

Thanks
[smilie=bal_cool.gif]

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
If you have had that many rebuilds then I would find another builder. Call up jasper or ETE or Proformance and get you a reman with a 3/100k warranty. Any of the dodge family will tear up on you. They are all pretty much the same. Sounds to me like you are getting inferior parts. Cheap dacco reman convertors. Make sure you get a precision convertor only! Run synthtic fluid and replace your cooler lines, unless you have access to a hot flush machine. There are some upgrades that can be done such as strait cut gears and such for the overdrive section. I have a huge list of things. However nothing beats a good warranty.

AS THE GOOD SAYING GOES>>>>>

THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY LONG OUTLASTS THE SWEETNESS OF A "GOOD DEAL"!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Next time you replace the tranny buy a brand new external tranny cooler and do not use the one built into your radiator. The local jeep/tranny shop I am having rebuild my 44RE told me that it is almost impossible to get the contamination out of the old coolers and it will ruin your new rebuild.. Its best for your new to just get the biggest external cooler you can fit in there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
44RE

I have a very cheap 44 RE, I purchased the wrong one fro my 1996 grand, I need a 42 RE, and he won;t take a return ( private owner).
need to sell, make offer and it's yours.
262-997-0592 / 262-424-1037

·
Registered
12 Posts
44RE Transmission

I am taking offers, IF you want it, make me an offer I Can't refuse.
my friend noticed that the Crank Sensor is in a different location on this one than the 42RE on my truck.
this transmission is for an 8 cyl.

I though the same thing, that it would be heavier duty, but when he said the senser is in the wrong spot, means I can't use. I am not technical at all, just trying to sell the tranny I got that won;t work, and get my self one that will!

please offer me, I need to get a tranny for my jeep and can't do it unless I sell this 8 cyl version.

·
Registered
12 Posts
swap

I asked a tranny shop if you can swap them, the Crank sensor is on the wrong side for the V8 to the 6 cyl, so it won;t fit. maybe swapping the parts to the case, not sure if that would work or not, best call a transmission guy for that one. but great idea.

·
Registered
1 Posts
44RE Transmission

I am taking offers, IF you want it, make me an offer I Can't refuse.
my friend noticed that the Crank Sensor is in a different location on this one than the 42RE on my truck.
this transmission is for an 8 cyl.

I though the same thing, that it would be heavier duty, but when he said the senser is in the wrong spot, means I can't use. I am not technical at all, just trying to sell the tranny I got that won;t work, and get my self one that will!

please offer me, I need to get a tranny for my jeep and can't do it unless I sell this 8 cyl version.
44RE

I just called a transmission expert located in Indiana, he told me that it would not fit my jeep, it has to go on an 8 Cyl.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts