Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, looking for some quick advice.

I recently got a new trans (old one was dying fast) to put behind my new 4.7 stroker (which is awesome btw). The trans pan is leaking. I did torque down the bolts again after it was installed, but it still leaks :( . It has a cork gasket on it from Jasper.

I talked to a guy who works on jeeps a lot, and even has a ZJ. He said do not use a gasket, just RTV the crap out of it.

Did some searching on the internet and read to use a rubber gasket from MOPAR.

I don't want to have to take the pan off multiple times, so what is the best way to go about this? I figure someone on here has done this before, as I have not.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
RTV makes a HUGE mess to deal with on the next fluid change.. If you over torque the pan bolts, the pan lip will warp and not seal correctly. The cork gaskets will seal right if the pan edge is flat and the bolts are properly torqued. You can also try the plastic multi use gasket from the dealer (I've had better luck with those)

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised one bit if your pan is bent, you have actually worsened the leak by over-tightening the pan bolts and likely caused indents around the bolt holes, I speak from experience. I can't recall the manufacturer, but I went through this years ago and found a gasket that was made using a metal strip sandwiched between rubber, this gasket combined with a new pan sealed up nice and dry. If you can't find the perfect gasket and don't want a new pan, buy a tube of this http://www.permatex.com/products/our-brands/the-right-stuff That stuff flat out works.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Get the mopar gasket whatever you replace and be done with it.It has a metal layer inside and raised rubber sealing ribs. It is reusable. Here is a link on ebay so you can see it, on the same page they are selling the deeper 42re pan as well. With it you get alittle more fluid capacity. I had a bung welded in it to drain the fluid easily. http://www.ebay.com/itm/52118779ad-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ed75189cb&vxp=mtr

You can see the bung in this pic. The rearward pic is an error if it post. You will need to use the deeper filter housing if you use the deeper pan.

Vehicle Auto part Car Tire Automotive tire

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.