Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the oil pan gasket on my 94 Jeep Grande Cherokee 4.0L, all wheel drive, 42RE trans. I started the Jeep to check for engine oil leaks and the trans started hemorrhaging trans fluid from between the trans pan and gasket, mostly on the driver's side. I shifted the trans into forward, reverse and neutral in hopes the oil would stop leaking, but it didn't. I replaced the trans pan gasket a couple months ago with a Mopar/Jeep replacement. It doesn't make any sense why it would start leaking oil and I'm completely baffled by this. Any ideas? I've never seen anything like this and I don't have clue why this is happening. I could certainly use some help in trying to figure out how to fix this.

Thank you.

·
530 Posts
sometimes the gasket pinches and causes a leak so I either make paper gaskets and use sealant on both faces, or just use sealant on its own

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why would the trans pan gasket pinch if I was only replacing the engine oil pan gasket?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It appears that it's not the trans oil pan or gasket. There appears to be an oil cooler line that goes into the front driver side of the trans above the front edge of the trans oil pan. There is a plastic quick disconnect clip holding the line to the transmission that is leaking. It must have cracked or broke when the trans cooler lines were moved around as I was taking the engine oil pan out. It leaks down the trans and makes the trans oil pan look like it's leaking.

Follow up question:
I was looking at the factory parts catalogue and the 4.0L trans has the trans cooler lines on the passenger side while the 5.2L trans has the trans cooler lines on the driver side. I thought I had a 42RE trans with my 94 Grand Cherokee 4.0L with tow package. I'm wondering if I really have a 44RE or if the cooler lines are moved to the driver side for some reason. I'll have to do some more digging.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is a newbe mistake, one of the cool things about the Grand is you don't change the trans fluid! You change the transmission every 50k instead!! Viscous coupler, valve body, leaks and slipping etc. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the stock trans lines modified by a hose shop. They changed the quick disconnect fittings to flair fittings so it will thread into the transmission and not break/leak anymore. They modified the other ends to have hose barbs so I can use hose clamps and replace the rubber lines as needed. It cost me less than buying replacement lines!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts