Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum here. I have an 03 Grand Cherokee 4x4 4.0 inline 6 with the, you guessed it, 42re transmission. Haven't been able to find any JY transmissions within 100 miles of where I live and even if I did not sure I would want to go that route. A friend told me to check these guys out, https://reman-transmission.com/transmission-codes/?code=42RE, seems like they got a decent price with free shipping and a 5-year warranty but I've just never bought anything this expensive online and have no experience with them. Does anybody else on here have experience buying a transmission from those guys or have a vendor that they have experience with? Not going to be doing anything crazy with my Jeep other than giving it to my son as his first vehicle in a couple of months, lol.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have no answers to the questions you asked, but I have a question of my own:

Are you sure you need it?
These transmissions require periodic maintenance that is often ignored, resulting in people thinking the trans is bad when in fact it just needs a little attention.
Have you done the transmission oil change/flush and filters change?

·
Administrator
668 Posts
The 42RE requires its brake bands to be adjusted at every filter/oil change service on the transmission and the only other real problems is the shift control solenoid can fail and that will cause it to pull away in 2nd gear or have poor cold shifting until the oil is hot, and yes that can also be caused by the bands being too loose so well worth servicing the box first

1 - 3 of 3 Posts