Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the 42re apart in my 1998 grand Cherokee. My wife lost reverse, had been having issues with shift into overdrive. I expected pieces of the snap ring out of the overdrive section. Instead I found these pieces. I am hoping someone will recognize them right away.

The overdrive top frictions all all fried and the steels are blued, so the overdrive section is toasted. I am just wondering what else I am going to find, I was hoping to get away with only rebuilding the overdrive section and upgrading the valve body with some sonnax parts. I am thinking these look like maybe part of a solenoid. I will tear the rest down in a few days. I am a retired, disabled mechanic, but not a transmission guy. I work slow, but I get it done :)

·
Registered
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, if I had taken it just a little further apart before asking.

The front of the 3 OD snap rings was broken, wavy and other one are intact. Figured I would update for any who may have something similar. I hate leaving unresolved issues in posts.

·
Registered
484 Posts
WOW! Good luck on the rebuild. I've had a hate/hate relationship working on automatics. But I get them done and hope to never do another...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi

Bearing in picture is R.I.P.
That's the bearing ball cage you show on first pic.

you will have to take every bit of transmission apart to clean all possible floating metal in it

go to link below
42re start at pg 174

ZJ 1998 parts catalog.

Bearing part Number #04461008
( from picture, please double check i maybe wrong)

Browse around for bearing spare
have seen some insane pricing for it

around 150 $ is a reasonable price, more its a rip off
less then 100$ (unless legit deal of the day )
your getting knockoff made out of "Shitonium or Chinesium"
you will have to do it again very soon
and since it is such a joy to do this kind of repair

Junkyard maybe an option to if you have time and access to one

1 - 4 of 4 Posts