Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. So I'm in the middle of rebuilding the 4.7 for my Jeep. Long story short I took my rods and new pistons to the machine shop and they installed the rods backwards, with the oil groove facing the back of the block when the arrow on the piston points towards the front. When I took the rods out the oil groove on all the rods was facing the front of the block.
Since they all point towards the front of the motor it seems like the rods for cylinders 2-4-6-8 would be pointing towards the side of the block while the grooves for cylinders 1-3-5-7 would be pointing almost straight up. So would having the groove on the back of the rod instead of the front make any difference or cause any issues with the motor?

The groove I'm talking about is in the picture below, red arrow pointing towards it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After some looking around and talking to a few shops the short answer is they slots have to face the front.

Long answer is those slots are there to oil the thrust side of the cylinder bore. Installing them backwards will result in a very short engine life.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts