Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered RE 4.5" XJ springs. I am planning on running them in the rear with only stock isolator. I figured after sag I'm looking at a solid 6.5 - 7". Who is running this setup? Opinions. I heard that I may be around 8" and that is too darnn high even though I'm running Clayton's long arm and 35's.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
You can always cut a wrap or two off of the coils if they are too high.
Nathan

·
Registered
828 Posts
Thats what I am running right now. they sit at a solid 7.5 inches of lift. When weighted down for a run {tools, spare, rack, camp stuff etc.} they compress a lot and shift the axle way to the drivers side, causing some rubbing issues {spring was rubbing on bump stop cup}. Dont feel they have enough spring in them for the extra weight in the back. I have ran these springs for a few months and will be swapping them out soon. My nine inch should be done in a couple of weeks and I am thinking of using the regular RE 4.5 springs in the back. I am thinking of raising the spring pads two inches for the extra lift. Still not sure. Maybe since the rear will be converted to a 4 link, and the t-bar will be gone, the axle shift won't be an issue.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chris_L,

I know what you mean about axle shift. Even with the RE trackbar bracket on in the back, I come really close to the drivers side bump stop. When you convert to a 4 link, you shouldn't have that problem. I am going to do that aswell, when Clayton gets it all worked out. We'll see I guess. I usually run the 35" spare in the cargo compartment with toolbox and highlift and other stuff. I guess only trying it will let me find out.

thanks
Chris

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chris Liston on 2002-03-27 08:32 ]</font>

·
Registered
136 Posts
Chris_L, I put RE 3.5" ZJ front coils in the rear of my ZJ and ended up taking them back out a week later. They netted roughly 7.5" of lift with a TR bumper and 35" tire hanging off the back.

I went back to the standard RE 4.5" coil set and 1.5" spacer. I ended up cutting all fenders so the 35s would fit with 6" of lift. It feels much more stable this way.

Jay

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From the sound of it, it seems like this probably won't be the setup I'm looking for. I should just trim some metal and wait for Clayton to get the 4link rear setup. I called RE, they usually charge a 20% restock fee, but will work with me if they are still packaged and or give me a 100% credit if I buy something else.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chris Liston on 2002-03-28 15:56 ]</font>

·
Registered
688 Posts
Chris, those springs should be about right.

the ZJ springs are ALOT stiffer, but ther are issues with the trackbars

really if you go that high, (like Chris and I), you should also mod the front steering and re-mount the front trackbar above the axle in the front, to reduce the angle and then go to a crossover over the knuckle steering setup.

claytons 4 link rear will work fine..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts