Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well its about that time to swap my 4.0 out for a 5.2 powerplant and transmission. My 42RE gave up the ghost and rather than spend the cash on a new trans im going to swap a V8 motor and trans in. With that said, what exactly is involved? I already know about the wiring, ECU, trans control, and stuff like that but what about motor mounts? I would assume that the 4.0 and 5.2 mounts are in different locations so how would I go about doing so? Does anyone know of any good writeups regarding the 4.0 to 5.2 swap? Any input is greatly appreciated!

RockZJ

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
55 Posts
you won't need any different guages , confirmed by checking the parts list , which I did 4 U

·
Registered
330 Posts
I put a 5.9 drive train, from a wrecked 5.9 Limited, in a '98 Laredo that I owned about 3 years ago. I bought everything out of the wreck from the grill back. I discarded the 249 in favour of the original 242. I replaced all the under hood wiring and accessories with the 5.9 stuff, along with the computer. Also changed the trans and t-case shifters and the BCM under the dash. It was all plug and play. In your case, I would buy the stuff from a '97 but a '98 would be a 2nd choice. Most of the wire connectors were changed in '97 and continued to '98. The hardest part of the swap was fishing and connecting the wiring plugs at either side of the firewall.
What I ended up with was a '98 Laredo with a complete 5.9 Limited drive train, with the exception of the 242. I then added a rear Aussie, home made CAI, SMR trans valve body kit, MSD ignition, slotted front rotors and Super Stop pads all around. Suspension was Up Country springs and a 2" BB with 31x10.50x15s on stock wheels.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
I didn't look at first to see who posted this. I clicked on it to say...unless you have modified your rig significantly, just buy one with the 8...

Seeing that this is Rock, that response is out the window. Best of luck, I can't wait to see this happen. I always like following your projects. Aren't you in med school or something, how do you find time for all of your projects?

·
Registered
708 Posts
you drink that Colombian "coffee" dont you Rock?cant wait to see this done

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im working on my degrees, yes ;)! Honestly, im not sure how I find the time or the money but things always work themselves out. Well, I would look for a 97 or 98 but we (Mag and I) have already bought the ZJ. Im not a coffee drinker at all haha, I prefer Jagermeister.

Ive done some searching on MC to see who else has done this and its a pretty common swap. From what ive gathered is that the ZJ "frames" are tapped from the factory for both the 4.0 and 5.2 mounts, I just have to swap the brackets over which was a given. The wiring seems straight forward as they are both OBDII setups. Does anyone know if the 42Re and 44Re transmission crossmember mounts are the same? I just replaced mine last spring so if I could save myself some cash there that would be great. Im also pretty certain the V8 and 4.0 Clayton's crossmembers are the same.

Is there anything for those that have done this that I should know before tearing into both ZJ's? Are the fuel pump PSI's different between the V8 and 4.0 ZJ's? So basically here are parts im taking:

- Engine & Transmission
- Complete Wiring Harness
- Trans & Engine Computers
- All Engine & Trans Components
- Motor Mounts
- V8 Radiator & Trans Cooler?
- Other Stuff I Cant Remember

So with that said, what else needs to be done? Thanks for the input guys! Cant wait to get it all done!

RockZJ

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Ok, I'm watching this. If my 4.0 ever blows, this is what I'm doing. Hey Rock, if you have the space, you might want to see if you can buy a wrecked but complete ZJ with the 5.2 so you have everything right there when you need it. Park it right next to the one you're doing the swap on. That's the way I'd do it.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Ok, I'm watching this. If my 4.0 ever blows, this is what I'm doing. Hey Rock, if you have the space, you might want to see if you can buy a wrecked but complete ZJ with the 5.2 so you have everything right there when you need it. Park it right next to the one you're doing the swap on. That's the way I'd do it.
Thats what they did.....

·
Registered
379 Posts
RockZJ said:
snip/ Well, I would look for a 97 or 98 but we (Mag and I) have already bought the ZJ. /snip

snip/ Is there anything for those that have done this that I should know before tearing into both ZJ's? /snip
GreenZJ said:
Thats what they did.....
I need new glasses! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
War, if you wanna wait a few years ill hook you up with glasses ;)! But yes, I will have access to the entire ZJ but I wont have it directly next to me, its gonna be at Mags house so the plan is to grab more than I need so I dont have to make a hike back down there. Gonna be cool! Ill post up the progress, no worries

RockZJ

·
Registered
330 Posts
The frame rails, cross members, suspension control arms, etc are the same. The difference in cross members themselves is whether there is a t-case skid plate. Like I said above everything is a bolt in but you need all the V8 brackets, mounts and accessories, including the frame brackets for the motor mounts. My point about the '97 & '98 was the wiring harnesses being compatible. Earlier wiring had different connectors. The other thing that I found I had to change was the fuel lines. The pump and tank are fine but grab the fuel lines from the wreck, 6 and V8 lines are different. New ones are available from Mopar. Because you are going with a 5.2, the under hood wire harness ( the one going around the engine compartment) will probably work. Make sure that you get the 5.2 engine harness. I was going 5.9 with the stock 5.9 electric fan etc, so I had to change the under hood body harness.
Anything else that I can help you with don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Excellent info ZJMAN! Much appreciated! I have been looking into the swap a bit more in the past few days. I currently have a 231 in the ZJ that is going to a buddy of mine and I am swapping in an 01 TJ NV231 with an AA SYE kit. Now I dont have the case in front of me but im 100% sure the input shaft length is nominal compared to the V8 input shaft lengths. From what I know it came out of an 4.0L equipped manual TJ so the length should be a bit different than the autos.

With that said what is going to be my plan of attack with getting the 231 working behind the V8 and 44RE. I havent messed too much with the V8's at all but I do know the output shafts on the transmissions (6 vs 8) are very different and the V8's spline length is different. I am not sure if I will be able to get a hold of the 249 that is in it for the sun gear and input shaft, not to mention I am unsure if the gear cut is even the same. So what does everyone recommend? I know AA sells the input shaft that I will need but its also 200+ bucks. Any chance that anyone knows the TJ lengths and the V8 lengths? I believe the V8's were ridiculously large correct? I cant remember exactly but I recall reading 2+ inches on the output shaft of the trans? Thanks

RockZJ

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I just got off the phone with AA and they told me the same thing all ZJ owners already knew. "There is no way of telling what length input shaft is needed without first pulling it and measuring." Really? That is the first time I heard that :insert flipoff here: So its looking like im gonna have to get a hold of my buddy with the new 231 and have him measure for me and compare that to the 249 thats in the parts ZJ. Mag, it sounds like a plan what we talked about!

RocKZJ

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Yeah should have the TC out before you come down over the weekend, just to make it easier to workon the stuff you need to focus on for yours and save time. We will yank the motor, trans, all mounts, accessaries, harness, PCM, hoses, and fuel lines. 97 started a returnless fuel system, while 96 had a return line and regulator mounted on the rail. I should have a 97 and later rail lying around and the feed line from the 96 will work fine with your 97 fuel tank set up. Been printing wiring diagrams to compare differences at the bulkhead connector. Its nice having a complete running vehicle to rob the parts from!! I don't plan on anything leaving until yours is up and running and my kids is too!! So no worries there!! As soon as the TC is on the floor, i'll measure the input and text ya!!

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Well I just got off the phone with AA and they told me the same thing all ZJ owners already knew. "There is no way of telling what length input shaft is needed without first pulling it and measuring." Really? That is the first time I heard that :insert flipoff here: So its looking like im gonna have to get a hold of my buddy with the new 231 and have him measure for me and compare that to the 249 thats in the parts ZJ. Mag, it sounds like a plan what we talked about!

RocKZJ
Josh, the ZJs, 96-98, all have the medium .840 input shaft. It, being the V8 249, SHOULD have the same input input shaft that your current 231 has

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bill, sounds like a plan! Would it make sense to pull the cab harness as well or no? Ill snag the speakers while im there and of course the gold V8 emblem :) . Rog, the only thing is the current 231 im running is from a 94 XJ and the new 231 im putting in is from an 01 TJ. So im hoping that the TJ version will be long enough to work properly. I just need the transmission output shaft seal to mate properly and if it does ill obviously have enough contact patch between the two. Then from there I need to order up my driveshaft once its all together and working, cant wait!!! Mag, ill see you this weekend!

RockZJ

·
Registered
330 Posts
RockZJ;
My experience is with ZJ and XJ swaps. Although I have worked on YJs, TJs and even some FJs, I would not swear as to what is swappable from those lines. My guess is that a 231 out of a YJ or TJ would need an input shaft swap to bolt up to an XJ or ZJ trans, but it's just a guess. As I stated before it matters not whether the engine is a V8 or a 6, it is the trans series RE, RH or AW4 that counts. A 242 from a 42RE will bolt directly to a 44RE or a 46RE.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fair enough! I will cross that bridge when I get to it. If we have to use the 249 input shaft and what not I just hope its the same gear cut as the 01 231. Time will tell whether I need to do it or not, chances are I will. No biggy, just a bump in the road that Mag and I will straighten out! Thanks for the information!!!

RockZJ

1 - 20 of 29 Posts