Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a Kolak custom exhaust system. Mike Leach headers, carsound cat, Flowmaster muffler. darnn! It hauls ass. It took about 4 hours to install, and was one of the simpler projects I have done.

Anyone else done this mod? How were your results?

-G.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have heard alot off people like that set up, but I don't have any personal expierence.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Because of the welding, ecetera, that it was very difficult to do the exhaust by yourself. Did you have any issues with that side of the installation?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Colt,

What muffler shop did you use? Any reccomendations?

·
Registered
266 Posts
On 2002-02-03 01:02, jimijojoshubadu wrote:
I just installed a Kolak custom exhaust system. Mike Leach headers, carsound cat, Flowmaster muffler. darnn! It hauls ass. It took about 4 hours to install, and was one of the simpler projects I have done.
You did all of that in 4 hours? darnn, I need you around when I'm working on my ZJ.

David

Edit: I just noticed the title of the post!! I didn't realize that you were talking about the I6.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Luckadoo on 2002-02-07 13:40 ]</font>

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took mine to a muffler shop for the final welding. It took them about 45 minutes to finish the job. Included in that 4 hours, ie 3 hours for the removale and headers, 15 minute drive to the shop, and 45 to weld everything in place.

It is the I6. V-8 I would imagine is slightly more complicated.

-G.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hey what's the advantage of the header(s) over the stock? I have the I6 in my '96 and may have an exhaust leak forming around the manifold. Why put the stock back on when I can get some more juice? Will it give more power? Better sound? Where can I get the info on it?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thanks, I'll e-mail. Did you replace your intake/header gasket at the same time? If so what kind/where did you get it? How much of a pain in the butt was it to take the intake and everything else off with it--and put back on? I'm not sure if I want to pay a mechanic to do this or tackle it myself (lazy, looks like a pain to get back on).

·
Registered
155 Posts
rreed - I just installed a Mike Leach header this weekend - if you've never done it before, allow a full day for installation. It helps some to have an extra set of hands/brains.

Putting everything back together isn't any harder than taking it apart, there's just two lower bolts that are a real hassle to get to, you gotta rely on feel more than anything.

I can't speak to any improvements yet (though if anything, I think there's a bit better low end torque) - I still need to get the 2" crossover pipe to the cat replaced with 2.5", but its quieter now than with my broken stock manifold.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Cool, so how did everyone break their stock manifolds? Does this just happen? Wonder if mine's broke?
My cat converter is gutted and I'm already running a Flowmaster 40 series, wonder if it'll make a bigger difference or if I should just ditch the whole idea and fix the possible leak.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i have a single flowmater muffler, with dual tips and echo chambers... it took the place forever to install but it looks and sounds awesome.. maybe this will help

·
Registered
227 Posts
BigRed, what motor do you have? How long are your tips and how exactly are they ran? I'd like to do the tips too but I use mine heavily in the woods and wouldn't want to drag it all over the place and gouge it into the ground if I have to back up through a rut or something.
I'd still like to know if there's any kind of performance increase from other 4.0L I6 users.

·
Registered
12 Posts
im running a 4.0 I-6. i dont know the exact length of the tips " to lazy to measure" but they are the echo chamber tips.... but if i was to guess i would say they are 12 incheS? they dont stick out past my bumper so they dont drag or anything... but it sounds great, and u can feel the difference

·
Registered
12 Posts
im running a 4.0 I-6. i dont know the exact length of the tips " to lazy to measure" but they are the echo chamber tips.... but if i was to guess i would say they are 12 incheS? they dont stick out past my bumper so they dont drag or anything... but it sounds great, and u can feel the difference

·
Registered
227 Posts
Okay so, how does everyone feel about performance increases with the Kolak system on a 4.0L I6?
I'd love to do the Leach header but for ~$523 it's going to have to be a big increase.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got the mike leach header on my 4.0l WJ it is alot faster,I just have the header have not done the whole exhaust doing that this summer,But the header does help but it was expense.

Chris

·
Registered
227 Posts
I saw you listed a TB spacer. I was part of a nearly heated discussion that they don't do much good.
What kind is yours and how big an increase did you see with your TB spacer?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts