1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok RE 4.5" + 2" spacers...
D30 front, open, 4.56's, 297x shafts...
D35c rear, open, 4.56's....

Think its a time bomb, or will it hold until I can afford a 8.8 swap?

Kelly

·
Registered
186 Posts
The key to keeping everything together is that you are open front and rear. If you lock either one you will break. Keep your foot out of it and don't drive on Seattles streets in the lane next to me. ;)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Kelly, Kelly, Kelly

You will want to keep the 35c open but you could lock up the 30 and be safe (after you get rid of that 249 ;) )

Get ready for lots of trimming. Oh and buy spare shafts.
Nathan

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone have a 8.8 laying around they don't need?? ;)

I'm thinking...If Mike Myers will trade me my axles for his, plus 4.88's for the 30 and his 9", I'll pull out the lockrites, and see how it goes.

As for trimming...let em rub, they're Pro Comp muds... 34.3 or so...not THAT big...right?? :D

Either that or I stick with 3.73's and the 33's I have....oppinions?

Kelly

·
Registered
52 Posts
Kelly just do it! I'd like to see first hand how a sawzall and a grand mix. Hell 35's are just 2" taller all around (from the center of the hub) Thats nothing, just dont turn. HEY when are we gonna go wheelin. I got my Rusty's skid today (Sorry, no shock) and I ordered the Stillens, so we've got some work to do :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
hey, regaurding stock axles with big tires? my wrangler had a dana 35c rear, open with 35" baja claws. obviously the tire has a lot to do with it. baja claws and swampers are really(REALLY) heavy tires, where as all terrains are much lighter(which I think plays a small part in the role of breakage). I wheeled for years with this set up and never broke anything... I did some very tough wheelin in it too, but I was also very cautious. All the times I have seen breakeage to axle components, it has been from, gunning it, while trying to get over an obstacle, and the axles start to jump a little, and when the wheel comes down, and gets a lot of traction, SnAp! not good... especially with the 35c... cause nobody likes to drive home on 3 wheels(if you can).anyway, morall of the story, when I decided to get lockers, I also decided to get the currie ford 9" and regear and the same time. A somewhat cheaper alternative is the c clip eliminator and warn hubs and stronger axle shafts, but don't ask me about the quality, benefit, or maintenance of these products.

*reduce traffic...go fourwheelin*

G

·
0 Posts
This is theoretical... But lets say I had a locker in my A44 rear, and it was turning 35" ssr's. Lets say my front 30 had an OX, and was turning the same tires.

What do you think?

·
Registered
75 Posts
When you say a cheaper alternative to swapping the 35c out for another axle is the c-clip eliminator, heavier duty axle shafts, and Warn hubs, just how much is all that? Who make s the C-clip eliminator and who makes affordable upgrade shafts?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On 2002-02-08 16:57, Beestieboy wrote:
When you say a cheaper alternative to swapping the 35c out for another axle is the c-clip eliminator, heavier duty axle shafts, and Warn hubs, just how much is all that? Who make s the C-clip eliminator and who makes affordable upgrade shafts?
I'm not puttin money into my D35c...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I believe it is warn who makes the c clip eliminator... all truth be told... you will spend a lot of money to get a 35c to be a better axle, but it will probably be about 700 to 1000 bucks less than new axles... I guess when it comes down to it... its worth the extra grand for a dana44 or ford 9", or what the hell, while your at it... just got for dual dana 60's!
*reduce traffic... for fourwheelin*

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I'm into my 8.8 about $600 total /forum/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif
Nathan

E

·
0 Posts
A local yard actually asked $900 for an 8.8 w/3.73, posi, and 70K miles out of a 97 Exploder. That was last month. New complete surplus axles are appearing now for $550-650, and good yards sell for 40% less than that. Don't buy the "rare" argument. It isn't true.

-Dave

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've heard that a TJ axle is the proper width to fit a grand and if you put the spring perches in the right place, you could get a great donor axle from a TJ. True or not? And why is the 8.8 so good?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
On 2002-02-09 21:05, Beestieboy wrote:
I've heard that a TJ axle is the proper width to fit a grand and if you put the spring perches in the right place, you could get a great donor axle from a TJ. True or not? And why is the 8.8 so good?
First most TJs have the 35c. The 44 was an option. Second they will not fit even if you move the spring perches.
The 8.8 has huge axle tubes, 31 spline axle shafts, disc brakes, same bolt pattern and width. It has a lot going for it.
Nathan

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On 2002-02-09 21:41, NBaldwin wrote:
On 2002-02-09 21:05, Beestieboy wrote:
First most TJs have the 35c. The 44 was an option. Second they will not fit even if you move the spring perches.
The 8.8 has huge axle tubes, 31 spline axle shafts, disc brakes, same bolt pattern and width. It has a lot going for it.
Nathan
Yup...and I need one....

·
Registered
98 Posts
First off the 8.8 from a 96 and newer ford explorer will have the 8.8 in it. You will need to cut off the old brackets and the cut yours off and weld it to the 8.8.
NateH

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have not seen anyone mention the super35 kit. It uses D44 axles and a hybrid locker (35 and 44 parts) to increase the strength. This kit usually goes for $900. Cclip eliminators will not increase the strength of the axles. The only thing they do is prevent the axle from coming out when it breaks. The 8.8 is actually a little stronger than a D44. It is a popular swap b/c of its availablity, proper width, cost, disc breaks, and factory limited slip.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
On 2002-02-08 03:22, eshew wrote:
Kelly just do it! I'd like to see first hand how a sawzall and a grand mix. Hell 35's are just 2" taller all around (from the center of the hub) Thats nothing, just dont turn. HEY when are we gonna go wheelin. I got my Rusty's skid today (Sorry, no shock) and I ordered the Stillens, so we've got some work to do :)

Those are 32's. I run 3 inches of lift that is actually more like 4 (RE lift). I run 33x12.5 on the trail with NO rubbing.
________
Harley-Davidson FLSTC

·
Registered
194 Posts
But for someone like me who has 33's the dana 30 front can be built plenty strong enough. I have never seen a ford 8.8 in the front, what type of mods does that swap require?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts